Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Graham Route Choices

Re: Bob Graham Route Choices

On my BG last weekend we went round the back of the tarn -there is a stream to fill up here if you are short of water -then from the hause up and over the wall and climbed to the right of it -then coming down we just used the eroded zig zags and it seemed to work well -on the descent to Dunmail I gained 10 minutes on the schedule by going straight off the 'nose' slightly right heading for the north end of Steel Fell - if you want any more route choices let me know - what you need most is weather like we had last Saturday - I would not have got round this weekend!
    I'm not a number I'm a free man

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    On my BG last weekend we went round the back of the tarn -there is a stream to fill up here if you are short of water -then from the hause up and over the wall and climbed to the right of it -then coming down we just used the eroded zig zags and it seemed to work well -on the descent to Dunmail I gained 10 minutes on the schedule by going straight off the 'nose' slightly right heading for the north end of Steel Fell - if you want any more route choices let me know - what you need most is weather like we had last Saturday - I would not have got round this weekend!
    Congrats on you successful round. Which route did you take of the top of Great Calva?
    I like to go to work on a Monday morning more tired than I come home on a Friday evening!

We went straight over the fence at the summit cutting across to the fence Then followed that down to Whiley Gill.Go through the gate and heather bash to a grassy rake.Down this to Whiley Gill then follow the stream past the sheep fold and a fence, crossing it to hit the Caldew to the right of the confluence.Then 140 degrees up to Blencathra - hit the main path and then go right just before a ruined sheepfold -as on Bob's website -we missed the best trod through the screes but it worked fine - 3 hours 45 to Threlkeld which gave me a real boost for the rest of the day
    Last edited by Number 6; 15-05-2007 at 06:24 PM.
    I'm not a number I'm a free man

I'm off for some night time and early morning fun this weekend. More BGR recceing. If anyone fancies joining me for a run, feel free.

Plan is to start at Honister at about 10pm and run leg 5. Break in Keswick (at car) to eat and ready myself for a 2am start for leg 1. Then (having dumped gear at T'keld) it's off for a run along the Dodds and the rest of leg 2 to be done for about 10ish at Dunmail, where more food will have been stashed. After that, it's a bus or hitch back to keswick, a kip in a layby for a bit and then a drive home.

IF you see someone with their thumb out on sunday morning at Dunmail Raise, take pity on them and take them to Keswick, please

Also, i'll be hoping to bus or hitch to Honister on saturday afternoon/evening but if anyone happens to be around and can drop me there, that would be marvellous.

Cheeky i know but if you don;t ask...

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post

IF you see someone with their thumb out on sunday morning at Dunmail Raise, take pity on them and take them to Keswick, please
    I'm doing a Duddon valley recce on the Saturday will be coming back Sunday morning via Ambleside so will look out for you, sorry can't help on Saturday.

Bill

Aw thanks! Looks like the 9.40 or 10.40 bus will serve me well otherwise...

Swiss Toni
    Just read your blog and pleased you ok!
    On Sat. evening I jogged up to Dale Head from Newlands church with a view to having a look over the last leg. I hung around for a while but you obviously never arrived so, being frightened of the dark, I decided on an easier route back via Honister and road to Grange then Manesty. Good fun trying out me head torch and very interesting finding way down scree & waterfall in Yewthwaite Gill.
    I then did 5hrs. on Dunmail to Rossett & back on the Sunday. Happy Days
    Looking forward to more recce's before my attempt on 20/21st July

Hi All,

Calf Crag - Sergent Man
    I spent the weekend in the langdales and decided to have a run of a few peaks of the BG at BG pace.

I went from Sergeant Man - Calf Crag - Steel Fell and Back.

I was fine between Sergeant Man and Calf Crag on the way out and calf crag - steel fell was fine, but could not for the life of me find a path or sheep trod on the way back between Calf Crag and Sergeant Man and completely blew the schedule.

My reasoning on how I managed it okay on the way out is the fact that it was pretty much down hill all the way and it did not really matter about paths. That would be on a anti-clockwise round.

So my question is on a clockwise round is there a decent path or trod from Calf crag up to Sergeant man. I just seemed to be on tough going grass all the way.

Cheers
    Jamie

We have always had no problem finding the track which is a good way up and the reason why I would always recommend doing Sergeant Man before High Raise on the clockwise round
    See http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Polylin...7zbh&encType=1
    It is also equally quick to go to the left (south east) of the summit of Coledale Head and then descend to where the Easdale path crosses the stream
    Last edited by Chas; 11-06-2007 at 09:09 AM.

I certainly can't argue that one way is quicker than the other, but the way I'll be going in a couple of weeks is Calf Crag - High Raise (via Birks Gill, then compass over the grass) - Sergeant Man. We did this with DD last year & I've reccied it twice this year and had no problems with the schedule, so it'll do for me.