Thread: Windy Gyle, Northumberland

Windy Gyle, Northumberland

Does anyone have much info/previous experience of this race? i.e. what the route is like, distance, how many competitors etc....

http://www.northumberland-national-p...leFellRace.htm
    ...you should be running!!

Re: Windy Gyle, Northumberland

It's one of two awesome races in that neck of Northumberland - this and the Alwinton race a month earlier/later, can't remember which. I don't have details to hand but i think they are around 10-12 miles each and a decent climb. They're in the FRA handbook.

Both very runnable loops; Windy Ghyle takes you up to Russell's Cairn at 619m, along the Pennine Way for a mile or two then you head off on three miles of almost continual downhill charge down what's called The Street. Fantastic. Difficult navigation in mist although there are footpaths and bridleways to follow. The Alwinton Race (May time) takes you up onto Bloodybush Edge and then back down on forest tracks, so some people run in trail shoes, but it can be very muddy on the open fell.

These races are great, they don't get many runners, but those that do are passionate in that they travel some distance to get to these fairly remote places. The road junction before Alwinton is the start of an 11-mile dead end road! 11 miles!!!

Ring Keith Cooper, he'll happily answer any questions.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pjameson/nfr/news.htm Report of Alwinton & Windy Ghyle Races
    Last edited by theNoor; 24-01-2007 at 12:33 AM.
    Why walk when you can run.

Thanks, looks like I may enter this oe then!
    ...you should be running!!

Windy Ghyle 9m/1800'
    Alwinton 14m/2900' from GR 921063 (Pub). June 9th. 11.30am. Ring Keith r.e. both races!

See also Brough Law 5m/1250' near Powburn. March 25th.
    See also Kielder Borderer 17m/3000' Kielder Forest. may 6th.

Hope this gives you something to go on! If you join FRA the handbook will detail more around Co. Durham, Cleveland and so on.
    Why walk when you can run.

My in laws live in the northeast and we happened to be up there when the Alwinton was on, so i did the long race and the wife did the short one.

I have to say it was one of the friendliest races i;ve ever done. OK, i was a curiosity in my Tattenhall vest way up there (some thought i was pot hunting, something quickly dispelled within 100 yards of the start) but loads of local people and runners chatted to us before, during and after the race - it was great and a lovely course too - nice and runnable.

They even decided not to kick off when my wife won 1st lady in the short race (probably because she was the only woman to run it!)

Enjoy!

Brilliant race.

I did it on a very warm june day the other year. Not many people there as it really is the back of beyond. It crosses the border into Scotland I think!

After getting to the high point the run out is fantastic. Go for it. I'd be there myself but got BG attempt pencilled in for that day.