Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas

Am I the only resident scrooge who doesn't like Christmas one bit (expect for 2 and a half weeks off work!)

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Am I the only resident scrooge who doesn't like Christmas one bit (expect for 2 and a half weeks off work!)
    Up until I was 48 I was in your boat Trav's but then my son came along. For the past 13yrs I have had to put up with it through gritted teeth!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Used to dread it but I'm gradually warming to it at the grand old age of 53. By the time I retire, I may even be looking forward to it.

We reserved our tree at the growers a couple of weeks ago. Off to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it's less than 8 feet or the secateurs are coming out.

Master
    Nope I have no interest in the commercial aspects of Christmas, but love the peace and quite on the hills over the 25th and the early hrs of the 26th before the madding hung over/overweight crowds emerge
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I enjoy Christmas Day; we have a family gathering, with about 10 of us, although at one time we could have anything up to 25 extended family members. What I don't like is the stress of all the preparations, buying presents, sending cards, etc. September to mid-December is always the busiest time of year at work for (and it's been more manic than usual this year), and when that's over I just want to flop down.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    Mad Friday, Christmas day and Boxing day would do me.
    Rather have time off in the summer.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Well I have to admit to feeling quite Christmassy - must be going soft in my old age! Just tucking into a mince pie after getting back from the Birmingham University Carol service. I'm not a religious person by all means but the service delivered by the multi faith chaplaincy, is very inspiring and this year's chosen homeless charity a very worthy cause and one close to my heart.

I normally put Xmas dinner or for my three kids, their partners and the grandkids but at least one will have their first Xmas at home this year, and I did ask my parents if they wanted to stand in, but they'd been booked by my brother.

So I might have a slightly quitter Xmas day this year with less than double figures round.

Overall I do enjoy Xmas. Great for the kids and we had our three growing up, then we had several years with foster kids and now we have the grandchildren.
    Not sure how it will be if we end up at a Xmas with none of the youngsters around.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    We stop going out at this time of year, because we avoid anywhere that sells Christmas trees, and all the commercial tat! Which is pretty much everywhere.

Our Christmas tree is plastic was bought in 1980, and may be threadbare but is still doing fine, after a few repairs! We grudgingly replaced our bulb lights with( cheap) leds about 3 years ago when even eBay stopped selling spares.

We return to garden centres in 2nd week jan. When they put it all away,

To me - the saddest gits of all, are those buying Christmas stuff cheap in the new year!! Who does that?

Bah humbug.
    Last edited by Oracle; 10-12-2019 at 10:56 AM.

I must admit to stocking up on xmas presents throughout the year for family... I certainly wouldn't make a dedicated trip out in February, but if I'm out and about and spot something, then i'll buy it and keep it stored away.

Usually forget what I've bought throughout the year and then have to raid the cupboard around this time of year to see what's left that I need to buy...!