Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    So how much ice is required for an overweight 14 year old, (so not me, then), riding a modified Raleigh Chopper across an East Staffordshire reservoir?
    Lol.

Clearly Schott need to do another update to answer important questions like this.

[QUOTE=anthonykay;681407]The data in that webpage show no clear trend at all in the Antarctic,

https://osisaf-hl.met.no/archive/osi...onthly-all.png

See September trend +8 thousand km2 / year +0.4%/ decade
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    [QUOTE=Mossdog;681410]
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    The data in that webpage show no clear trend at all in the Antarctic,

https://osisaf-hl.met.no/archive/osi...onthly-all.png

See September trend +8 thousand km2 / year +0.4%/ decade
    It's rather surprising that they don't give any of the usual statistical measures of the significance of the trend. The downward trend in the Arctic is obvious from the graphs, whereas in the Antarctic September graph the year-to-year variation looks quite large compared to the upward trend. Even more interesting is that the trend in November is slightly downward, whereas in December it is upward again!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

[QUOTE=anthonykay;681413]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post

It's rather surprising that they don't give any of the usual statistical measures of the significance of the trend. The downward trend in the Arctic is obvious from the graphs, whereas in the Antarctic September graph the year-to-year variation looks quite large compared to the upward trend. Even more interesting is that the trend in November is slightly downward, whereas in December it is upward again!
    Does it actually make sense to work on calendar month averages? Is it not possible that the timing of the cycle varies slightly from year to year, leading to fluctuations in these values? Maybe the max and min of a 30 day rolling average would be more useful.

I guess that when dealing with issues of statistical significance, that attempting to gauge what level of significance is required to reject the null hypothesis in favour of the alternative, is a very difficult decision given the millions of years that the planet has had an atmosphere and its massive complexities. We only really have accurate data for the last 150 years or so and indirect measurements (tree growth rings; deep core ice samples; and the like) are also highly variable.

Statistics, eh!

"I'm not very good at problems," admitted Milo.
    "What a shame," sighed the Dodecahedron. "They're so very useful. Why, did
    you know that if a beaver two feet long with a tail a foot and a half long can build a
    dam twelve feet high and six feet wide in two days, all you would need to build
    Boulder Dam is a beaver sixty-eight feet long with a fifty-one-foot tail?"
    "Where would you find a beaver that big?" grumbled the Humbug as his pencil
    point snapped.
    "I'm sure I don't know," he replied, "but if you did, you'd certainly know what
    to do with him."
    "That's absurd," objected Milo, whose head was spinning from all the numbers
    and questions.
    "That may be true," he acknowledged, "but it's completely accurate, and as long
    as the answer is right, who cares if the question is wrong? If you want sense, you'll have to make it yourself."

The Phantom Tollbooth.

I 'sense' that there's some movement in the whole, wider, 'climate 'crisis' debate too. But who can make sense of the whole overly politicised, sadly divisive, tribalist debates? Hey-ho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YtxH71xhiA
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    A really heavy shower of the dreaded graupel, which has now turned to snow, giving a nice covering of the garden and the road. And all this when the Met Office were forecasting a 10% chance of precipitation. Of course, you remember the one time that it does happen and not the nine times when it doesn't; but it still seems a bit surprising that such a heavy shower occurs with such a low probability forecast just one hour ahead.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

About an inch here in the Western Peak. I made my first (and worst) snowman of the year in about ten seconds.

Dusting of wet snow here in wales, but enough to see where the rats have been overnight so I can move my traps. That’s useful.

About 15mm overnight, or just over half an inch for older readers, here in SE Staffordshire.

That's about as much as we get, as whichever way it comes from (apart from the east) it has to cross much higher ground to reach us. Lovely warm sun is melting it nicely, and most of it will be gone by sunset

No new snow (only a 1/2 inch anyway) for a couple of days in the North Pennines, just delightfully cold and sunny. More bright weather please
    Am Yisrael Chai