Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fellsman Recce?

Re: Fellsman Recce?

Sent my entry off a few days ago. Going to have a look around tomorrow. Last attempted it in 1985 (walking) and our group got lost and missed the Cray checkpoint.
    Just got to try and beat that Fleet Moss grouping!

Cannot do midweek but seems like a few people are up for a Saturday recce. So what about 16th or 23rd February? How is that date for everyone else. Anyone else have any suggestion on dates?

Ian and Denzil, be great for someone who knows the way to show the ideal. Looking at the map I would have gone by the side of the wall across Fleet moss and use it as a nice nav handrail then run on a bearing to the tarn (is that where the CP is?) would that get us into trouble?

Also does anyone have the GR for the event? They are not on the new website.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    i'd be intersted in joining you as well. saturdays are also best.Also how do you enter this year? i went into fellsman Website and e mailed them before Xmas asking them to send me an entry form but have heard nothing since?
    Corniceman, they run it by commitee from an office (i was told) but at this time of year they won't be checking the email very often.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    Cannot do midweek but seems like a few people are up for a Saturday recce. So what about 16th or 23rd February? How is that date for everyone else. Anyone else have any suggestion on dates?

Ian and Denzil, be great for someone who knows the way to show the ideal. Looking at the map I would have gone by the side of the wall across Fleet moss and use it as a nice nav handrail then run on a bearing to the tarn (is that where the CP is?) would that get us into trouble?

Also does anyone have the GR for the event? They are not on the new website.
    I go skiing at the back of Feb so March would be best for me. or poss school hols 11-14th Feb

The 'Wall' is not all there and is just fence post for some of it also there is a new fence up there (just to confuse every one) it is also on the wet side so only a fast option in a drought or in waders although plenty go this way. Last year we got to Hell Gap before night fall and didn't break out the head torches until we left Cray

G Refs for this bit of route
    CP14 SD 841 846 Dodd Fell
    CP15 SD 860 838 Fleet Moss
    CP16 SD 909 811 Middle Tongue
    CP17 SD 934 824 Hell Gap ....and it is...
    CP18 SD 944 803 Cray
    CP19 Buckden pike summit
    CP20 SD 965 753 Top Mere
    CP21 SD 987 757 Park Rash
    CP22 SE 002 739 Great Whernside Summit
    CP23 SE 002 699 Cappelstone Gate

Do you need the rest.

Ian

Cheers for that Ian. These are GR I need!

Intrigued on your route choice now across Fleet moss. Intrigued enough to go onto google maps and it does look VERY marshy. I think I know the better route now though.

May try to get day off in Feb but only just started new job this week so not too sure yet.

Would definitely be up for a recce - count me in! Saturdays or Sundays for me...

With enough notice I can make a weekend !!! Cant have you wandering around up there with a map Moth, you get lost in the gym going form the bikes to the rowing machines !!!
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

[ I'll try and show you the 'Dry' route over fleet moss[/QUOTE]

This is a good route choice and Ians "directions" are most in depth !

I'd be interested in a bit of a recce wouldn't mind doing the sections I ran in the dark last year from Cray and try and figure out where the hell I went !

Right we seems to have a fair few for a Saturday Recce.

I am available the following Saturdays

16th Feb
    23rd Feb
    8th Mar But not full Fleet Moss to Grassington
    22nd Mar
    29th Mar
    5th April but not full Fleet Moss to Grassington

Can everyone look at what dates they can do and post them. Should then hopefully find a date that a fair few of us are available.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    Right we seems to have a fair few for a Saturday Recce.

I am available the following Saturdays

16th Feb
    23rd Feb
    8th Mar But not full Fleet Moss to Grassington
    22nd Mar
    29th Mar
    5th April but not full Fleet Moss to Grassington

Can everyone look at what dates they can do and post them. Should then hopefully find a date that a fair few of us are available.
    I'll see what I can do, but can any one do any of the school hols 11th -15th Feb