Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovery from a PB or BGR?

Recovery from a PB or BGR?

How long do all you BGR/PB/RR etc achievers reckon it takes to recover from your rounds? - By recover, I mean getting back to pre-round racing abilities?
    Are you knacked for months or back to racing surprisingly quickly?

Re: Recovery from a PB or BGR?

I did the Cnicht race 2 weeks after my Paddy Buckley Round. I may have not been quite where I was before, but I wasn't far off. I think I came 5th or there abouts which is my usual position.

I reckon a month is fine. On longer races I think you'll feel it for a while, 4-6 weeks after, but shorter racing form comes back quite quickly. The main thing is to get out of that plod that you adopt for ultras. It can be quite hard to get out of that, and I think the best thing to get out of it is just to race.

I think the cogs are turning in your head Crowhill!!
    After a great run at Ogden you don't want to loose that turn of speed
    But when you have that BG certificate on the wall - its there for ever!

ben

Took me 6 months. Tried racing too early and it killed me and nearly put me off running for good. Am OK now and set a pb for 10k the other week, so i reckon i'm recovered - finally! I had the opposite experience from Iain though - short races were hell for me at first.

I went round in late June and found racing during August really hard, simply because i was expecting the BGR to have made me strong whereas in fact i had seemingly slowed. I friend of mine who did the BGR some years ago pointed out that i'd been training for rounds, not races and so i was expecting too much afterwards. So, bear in mind that by missing races beforehand to train (i just did 2 races in the 6 months before - Skyline and 3 peaks) and afterwards to recover, a round puts paid to a year's worth of competitive running for the most part. That;s was the case for me, a mere mid packer. Faster guys and gals may recover far more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    I think the cogs are turning in your head Crowhill!!
    After a great run at Ogden you don't want to loose that turn of speed
    But when you have that BG certificate on the wall - its there for ever!

ben
    ha ha - Ben, it was just a purely theoretical and academic question .
    Last edited by crowhill; 08-01-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Your lack of training and doing sprint work may have been as much to do with that as the attempt itself though, I don't know.

I guess we all get affected differently.

I did 2 10ks 10 days after a 53 mile and 96 mile run and did both in ~39 minutes, which I reckon was maybe a minute max of what I thought I may have done at that time.

Where was your PB? Wrexham?

I got lost in Wrexham and turned up at 5 to, so missed the race, gutted as I was looking for a PB there.

Similar to ST - I found the short races took a bit of getting back into. This was mainly because I'd forgotten how to run uphill, I think.

Did my BG towards the end of June, then did loads of short, mid-week races through the summer. Each week I could gradually feel that I was getting back closer to where I had been. By the Mountain Trial (September) I was probably fully recovered (although I picked up another injury that weekend - but that's another story!)

Did you race much before the BGR?

I did the 96 mile WHW race in June 23rd then my Paddy Buckley, August 11th, and reckon I was fully recovered by my PBR from the WHW.

I did the Glen Clova race, long (but a shortish long), about 3 weeks after the WHW and died later in the race, I reckon the WHW was still in my legs at that time, Adrian Davies, who won the WHW this year, also struggled at Glen Clova in the later stages.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    By the Mountain Trial (September) I was probably fully recovered
    You certainly looked it when you shot past me ! I had a slow but bloody enjoyable run that day and was probably not quite recovered even then.

I think it's a valid point that not doing any speedwork will have affected my post BG racing. Lesson for the next round will be to maintain some quality in my training. Soooo tempted with an autumn PBR, although next year is more likely.

I think that it depends on how fit you are to begin with.
    If you cruise your BG in 22 hours or so, I reckon you recover pretty quickly.
    Mere mortals who finish absolutely wrecked in 23.5 hours (sounds like me!!) will take considerably longer. I had nothing in my legs for a couple of months after my BG and I reckon it was 6 - 8 months before I had fully recovered.