Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: training twice a day

training twice a day

have been thinking of uping training and going out a couple of times a day, once in morning for a hour and later on, tea time ish for another few miles. Not everyday, but as often as poss, the rationale is to try and improve for longer races such as 3 peaks. Will it make any differnece, any advice very welcome!!

Re: training twice a day

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    have been thinking of uping training and going out a couple of times a day, once in morning for a hour and later on, tea time ish for another few miles. Not everyday, but as often as poss, the rationale is to try and improve for longer races such as 3 peaks. Will it make any differnece, any advice very welcome!!
    Absolutely will. It should allow you to increase your mileage without taking the same toll on your body. 2 x 7 miles is much easier than 1 x 14 so you can use it to increase your mileage but it is not a substitute for one (or more) long run(s) per week. Remember your legs contain enough glycogen to run for 18-19 miles and if you want to run/race further you need to get them used to running beyond 19 miles (and eating to refuel).

Good luck

Youve inspired me. I am going to train again tonight having done one run already!

I've found running twice a day excellent for increasing my mileage. Also i use training as a means to get to work be it cycling or running, killing two birds with one stone. Depending on what shift i'm on i'll run 4 miles or 8 miles to work or the other way round giving me 12miles in total or sometimes 8 miles both way giving 16 miles. I can make the route to work flat or hilly or on and off road depending on how i feel. And usually i cycle one day run the next. Doing this seems to give me more time at home with wife and kids so everyone's happy. Except at weekends if i go to a race or for a long run but thats another story.
    If i ran 16 miles to work i'd be knackered and would'nt do much resulting in getting the sack, if i tried to run 16 miles after work i'd probably never get out and if i did it may result in a divorce, so for me training twice a day is the only way. All in all its a simple and effective way to get more miles in without slogging yourself to death
    Hills and Guinness!

cheers for replies, some good advice, ill see how it goes, had thought and tried a couple of times cycling to work after a early morning run, but its not always poss with having to drop kids off at childminders.

cheers for replies, some good advice, ill see how it goes, had thought and tried a couple of times cycling to work after a early morning run, but its not always poss with having to drop kids off at childminders.
    Thats all you've got to do, egor, think and try and see how it works. Its amazing how quickly you become inventive with the little time you have. Good luck
    Hills and Guinness!

Master

Training twice a day won't neccessarily increase your performance egor.Try it and see.If your running ability decreases, then it isn't doing you any good.

The whole point to doing long continous runs is to develop your muscular endurance.Scientists found that muscles exercised for 90 minutes or more,stimulate greater capillary growth in muscles, than shorter duration exercise.So two one hour sessions are not equal to one two hour session.

The above is assuming intensity is equal i.e these runs are aerobic(within your steady state).

There is only so much training you as an individual can stand.If you exceed that limit your running will slow.

The problem is finding that limit.

I don't think I could do two runs a day but recently I have started doing the odd 6 mile run at lunch time; the trouble is these runs are there and back agains up the canal side out of Leeds centre..... and they are plain, flat and monotonously boring. They're okay to just up my weekly mileage I guess but they're the running equivalent of eating gruel or soggy wood shavings to fend off hunger.

Smile Re: training twice a day

Originally posted by A.P.E. Knott
    This information was given to me by Running coach Frank Horwill (check out http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/advice_frank.html)
    Check out this site - there's some very interesting articles on training.

The thing I've found is that you have to be doing serious mileage to make use of training twice a day. For me personally I wouldn't think about training twice a day unless I was trying to get 70+ miles a week in. My only exception to that rule would be that I alway enjoy a short run on a Saturday evening about 6pm after a hard session on a Saturday morning. For some reason it used to set me up for a long run a Sunday and finish the week off.