Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploring in the dark

Exploring in the dark

...on your own... in an unknown area (but seemingly a very nice area).

What are your thoughts??

I am shortly going to be away at BBC prison for almost 2 months, with very little to do in the evenings once my classes have finished. The plan is to get plenty of exercise in whileI have the luxery of no distractions/chores/DIY etc etc.

It's in the middle of nowhere, so could be very lovely for running (in fact it IS lovely according to colleagues)... if it weren;t the middle of bloody winter and going to be dark by the time I can go out!

I have ordered a map of the area, but I am a bit unsure what I should do to maximise safety and minimise getting lost! Thought maybe going for a couple of walks first might be worth a go. I do have the advantage that I am crap so I don't need too long a distance, but it would be nice to get some routes up to about 6 or 7 miles, maybe more if all this exercise starts to pay off!

The alternative is to drive into the nearest town and run round there, but it's more hassle, less eco friendly and just not as much fun!

Re: Exploring in the dark

Hi,

1-Pick somewhere not too lumpy for your first outings so you don't get maimed.

2-Choose an out and back course. Less easy to get lost.

3-Get hold of some seriously good lights. I used a double pair of halogen bike lights before shelling out for a Petzl Myo XP headtorch -top gear for running in the dark.

Hope this helps,

Rhiannon

http://heliospanoptes.blogspot.com

Take a mobile phone

Big Coincidence, we are just writing an article for the BMC magazine, 'Summit', on night running and tips on how to be safe, what to take etc. Won't be out until the Fenruary I think, deadline is Friday for us, but when it's done I could email you a copy if you want.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    ...on your own... in an unknown area (but seemingly a very nice area).

What are your thoughts??

I am shortly going to be away at BBC prison for almost 2 months, with very little to do in the evenings once my classes have finished. The plan is to get plenty of exercise in whileI have the luxery of no distractions/chores/DIY etc etc.

It's in the middle of nowhere, so could be very lovely for running (in fact it IS lovely according to colleagues)... if it weren;t the middle of bloody winter and going to be dark by the time I can go out!

I have ordered a map of the area, but I am a bit unsure what I should do to maximise safety and minimise getting lost! Thought maybe going for a couple of walks first might be worth a go. I do have the advantage that I am crap so I don't need too long a distance, but it would be nice to get some routes up to about 6 or 7 miles, maybe more if all this exercise starts to pay off!

The alternative is to drive into the nearest town and run round there, but it's more hassle, less eco friendly and just not as much fun!
    take me karen with you , you know it makes sense

The irony of head torch running is that the spookier and more off the beaten track the run is, the safer you are (apart from cows of course which I find to be too bleeding inquisitive after dark).

Running streets feels safer for sure and is certainly more populated - unfortunately anyone with half a brain planning an assault would I suspect choose a place where they can reliably meet a victim and standing around on open moorside in the wind and pissing rain after dark wouldn't cut the mustard.

Sorry, I can't agree with that. Wherever you run, your chances of being attacked are far less than of having an accident. Accidents are more likely on rough ground, and more importantly there is far less chance of there being anyone around to help you.

Please note that I do not suggest that any of this is reason not to run off-road at night, just that we should be realistic about the risks.

IainR that would be very useful thank you very much - I am there until March and will be back there again in the Autumn.

gej, yes actually I agree, I am more likely to fall down and hurt myself (very clumsy!) and so I will always carry a mobile phone.

dazza, yes please will you come with me - you could train with me on the BBC's tramission systems too if you like there is 1 spare place on the course

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    Sorry, I can't agree with that. Wherever you run, your chances of being attacked are far less than of having an accident. Accidents are more likely on rough ground, and more importantly there is far less chance of there being anyone around to help you.

Please note that I do not suggest that any of this is reason not to run off-road at night, just that we should be realistic about the risks.
    Accidents are more likely where there are cars about.

I'm safer running on the fells at night rather than on the roads, at least then the chance of having an accident is in my hands not someone else

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post

Well yeah but whats with all the sensibleness around here?