Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal Locator Beacons

Personal Locator Beacons

Last year I was riding long distance through Shropshire and had the misfortune to break my leg from a fall in the middle of a field. I was lucky and wasn't riding alone and had mobile reception and we could get emergency help, but there are many places where where this is not possible.

I discovered that there is a system of Personal Locator Beacons which are legal for Marine and Aviation but illegal for land use For a informative explanation of what these are please go to http://www.equineramblersuk.co.uk/pe...or-beacons.php

We have a petition that can be accessed from that page which we would be really grateful if you would sign. We just want the law changed so that we have the choice to legally own a PLB should you wish to.

Re: Personal Locator Beacons

Quote Originally Posted by jenniwren View Post
    Last year I was riding long distance through Shropshire and had the misfortune to break my leg from a fall in the middle of a field. I was lucky and wasn't riding alone and had mobile reception and we could get emergency help, but there are many places where where this is not possible.

I discovered that there is a system of Personal Locator Beacons which are legal for Marine and Aviation but illegal for land use For a informative explanation of what these are please go to http://www.equineramblersuk.co.uk/pe...or-beacons.php

We have a petition that can be accessed from that page which we would be really grateful if you would sign. We just want the law changed so that we have the choice to legally own a PLB should you wish to.
    You've got no chance in this forum we can argue for weeks about carrying a mobile

Bill

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jenniwren View Post
    Last year I was riding long distance through Shropshire and had the misfortune to break my leg from a fall in the middle of a field. I was lucky and wasn't riding alone and had mobile reception and we could get emergency help.
    Is it possible to set fire to your horse to attract attention?

I don't know why but Personal Locator Beacons paints an image of runners trotting around with traffic cones on their heads, each perhaps with a flashing beacon on top.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I don't know why but Personal Locator Beacons paints an image of runners trotting around with traffic cones on their heads,
    A bit like this?

It seems Jenniwren is looking for some support from the hill running types as opposed to the mountain climbing types as I don't think she got many takers to sign the petition on the UK climbing forum. Some interesting points:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=272218

Blimey, she timed that well!
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

If you are on a horse and you are injured, then what you do is cut it open and climb inside and the body heat will keep you warm for hours, until someone comes and recues you, like on The Empire Strikes Back.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

i reckon its a good idea , espec for those who aren't confident navigators and /or may be going into the depths of wilderness. as usual its personal pref , if light enough i would carry one

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    If you are on a horse and you are injured, then what you do is cut it open and climb inside and the body heat will keep you warm for hours, until someone comes and recues you
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    i reckon its a good idea , espec for those who aren't confident navigators and /or may be going into the depths of wilderness. as usual its personal pref , if light enough i would carry one
    I completely agree with Alf. Carrying a small horse is the only way forward.