Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who gets ill?

Re: Who gets ill?

Well I was doing great up until this week! Can't remember the last time I had a cold. Have lots of fruit smoothies and, if I feel the immune system might be depleted, I top it up with a dose of ecchinacea.

And then this week, I've had the cold to end all colds!! Haven't run for 7 days now, don't feel up to running at all.

Doh!! Hopefully a one-off and I won't have another cold this year
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

I seem to have been plagued the last 3 months or so - had two bad colds before xmas and now I have got tonsilliitis I eat quite a lot of fruit and veg and stuff

I think people who are healthy and fit don't get ill as often cuz they are able to fight off illnesses more easily, but I don't think it's just down to that, I think stress and things can also have an effect on how well your immune system is working.
    Last edited by OneHillWonder; 25-01-2007 at 08:35 PM.

I have been ill since mid december, its crap.

Like onehillwonder said it could be down to stress. I recently moved house, but that was not stressful it took me three gentle weeks.

Until last year I'd had an average of 1.5 days off work a year (migraines/heavy colds etc) since moving up to Leeds 11 years ago, but last year was a bad year with a total of 7 days off in 3 stints due to flu viruses - hopefully it was just a one off year - as for diet I usually have my 5 fruit and veg a day but also eat some crap

I seem to get ill every year at xmas when I take time off! A combination of an air-conditioned office and two small children at nursery and school seems to mean I'm always exposed to some bug or other. Lots of fruit and veg and echinacea seems to fend them off from being anything severe but I do seem to have a constant mild cold this time of year. If I do I particualrly hard run/race I've noticed this can sometimes becomes much worse (probably because your immune systems always weaker when you're tired or when you drink too much alcohol, giving the waiting bugs a chance to strike - hence xmas illness I expect!).

i got a bad one a couple of years ago through stress at work, jobs coming in on time, pressure from the boss etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cobbydale View Post
    i got a bad one a couple of years ago through stress at work, jobs coming in on time, pressure from the boss etc.

exactly - it always happens when you already have too much on your plate, let alone having to deal with all of that AND feel ill at the same time!

All being well in March I will be in a position to say I won't have had any sick leave from work for 13 years - 1 of my colleagues reckons I'm due at least 26 weeks off "throwing a sickie".

I may well regret saying this, but I am rarely ill. It really annoys my wife who picks up every bug thats about. Maybe because, as a teacher, I am constantly exposed to germs and bugs from the little sods and I have got a good immune system.
    30 years and still here.

hmmm maybe - my dad was a teacher and i don't remember him ever getting ill either