Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BackPacks you can run in

BackPacks you can run in

I know this has come up recently, but what I can't tell from prior posts is how suitable your favorite backpack/hydration pack is for use while RUNNING. Not walking/hiking/cycling, but running, particularly on uneven ground where stability is important.

The packs I've used while running (gregory, camelbak) have either been low volume so barely can fit a jacket, or kind of bouncy / unstable.

I want to carry extra layers for top and bottom, spare mitts, light, a little food for runs / snowshoe / or xc ski trips that might last a few hours in cold weather. Something light and not too big, but big enough for what I listed.

I've been looking at the Inov8 packs online (not available locally), specifically at the RacePro 18, and was wondering if any of you have run in it and what you thought? Is it stable, does it rub uncomfortably on shoulders or waist or anywhere? What do you carry in it?

Thanks!

thanks

Re: BackPacks you can run in

I find my Tesco rucksack more than adequate. Very comfy and less than £10.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I find my Tesco rucksack more than adequate. Very comfy and less than £10.
    You'll need something a tad bigger than that if you're actually going to run in it .

Fellhound

Mine is getting on a bit now but it's a Karrimor Contest Elite 30. It's a great sack - very comfy and stable - but too big for my needs most of the time.

SO, I've also got a really tiny Wynnster Scorpion 7, which was only about a tenner if memory serves. They do a range from my 7 litre one up to (I think) about 20litres. It has compression elastic and an internal zip pocket ideal for car keys. The only thing it lacked was a chest strap, so I asked about one when I took some Walshes for resoling at Lancashire Sports Repairs and, blow me, the nice ladies there gave me one for nowt!! With the chest strap fitted the diddy sack is great - you hardly know it's on your back and it can be worn with a bumbag if a bit of extra capacity is needed.

Definitely one of my better buys... the Karrimor is in almost complete retirement now

http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/24775/

I bought this last year - I wanted somthing that would hold full race kit as well as giving hydration. It just fulfills that criteria as long as your jacket/leggings pack up fairly small and if you only half fill the bladder there is more room for bits in that compartment. I found even at their tightest, the main straps did not pull the sac tight enough to my back so I had to put a knot in each to get the adjustment I required.
    Think I paid 38 quid ish but can't remember which UK site, have a shop around and see what you can get it for now.

I'd go for either the Inov-8 racepac 18 or the Omm Running Light 20.
    Sounds like they should be around the size for your needs. Both are pretty stable and don't bounce around (as long as they have enough stuff in them and wear them tight) Don't go with Inov-8 racepac 20 - the cheap fabric on the back is rubbish and rubbed loads!!

I always use the smallest pack possible that will fit what I need to carry - my fav is Omm last drop but at only 10 litres I can't use it in winter. In fact this sack is probably more comfortable than running with a full bumbag.

I think you always get some rubbing from sacks so you have to expect a little bit but OMM (and the racepac 18 so far) have always worked out pretty well.

Also forgot to mention If you think you can get away with a smaller sack try the Racepro 12 - very good also.

I use one of those Bergaus 20l freeflow type bags. They are a little bulky but find them well balanced and your back doesn't get ridiculously sweaty. I wear mine running to work which at presen tis most days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    I've got the larger Megamouth one of these and find it okay for running with. It's got straps and a pull cord thingy on it so if it isn't full you can compress it down to stop it wobbling around. Plus it's got a neat magnet to clip the mouth piece on the hydration tube to the strap.

I've recently bought a OMM 32 litre rucksack specifically designed for running and lightweight outdooring. It's got excellent chest and waste straps and is doesn't bounce around like many others do.

Great thing is that you hardly notice it's on your back because it's so incred light and it holds whatever you're carrying fairly close to your back. Although it might be a bit too big, you can adjust a few straps to lower the capacity.

Also in the OMM range there is a 10l a 22l and possibly a 25l I believe. If there bigger brother is anything to go by i'd imagine they're excellent. Good things include a whistle built into the plastic chest buckle and much more.

Got mine from Hike Lite, no P&P added on and cheaper than anywhere else to begin with.