Thread: Non-cushioned shoes & injuries

Non-cushioned shoes & injuries

This might be a bit of a strange question, but here goes:-

I'm off again for another trek in Nepal in six weeks. Been loads of times before and I always trek in trainers. I am suffering with achilles tendonosis at the moment but it is gradually getting better. I normally hike in Saloman trail shoes with some cushioning but I am finding that they are inflaming my achilles quite a lot. My Walshes however affect that area much less.

My question is are there any injuries that can occur from wearing non-cushioned fell running shoes on hard ground day after day, when your feet are used to some cushioning when walking? I am in a quandry as to whether I should wear footwear that doesn't inflame my achilles but I don't want to get something else due to the lack of cushioning. Anyone worn walshes for three weeks straight? BTW my pack isn't particularly light as I carry a lot of camera kit so my ankles will take a relative pounding (though nothing like pegging it downhill at high speed) and as I already have 5kgs of camera I don't want to carry 2 pairs of trainers although that may be an option.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Escher

Re: Non-cushioned shoes & inju

To say that well cushioned shoes are essential for injury free trekking is nonsense. Take a look at what the well dressed Nepali porter is wearing on his feet while carrying a full load on a strap across his forehead.

It is probably more a case of what your body becomes accustomed to. Most western runners get used to running and trekking in well cushioned shoes. Muscles and balance adapt to suit this style. So, if you suddenly switch from one type of shoe to the other you may well invite an injury by overworking previously unstressed parts. Thats not say you will have a problem though...

We weren't born with cushioned shoes and are bodies are more than capable of adapting to use little or no cushioning.

However the key word is adaption and this requires time and patience to ensure you don't get injured. Your walking/running gait will be adapted to cushioning so I wouldn't recommend swapping to no cushioning without building up the length of time and strenuosity over a prolonged period.

I spent most of the summer walking around barefoot and began running short distances but it takes time and patience otherwise you will get injured.

As for the science of it I understand that some research has shown that once adapted to barefoot or non-cushioned gait you gain better proprioception, muscle balance and shock absorption thus reducing the likelihood of injuries.

Having a wedge of cushioning can actually increase impact forces and increase leverage/rotational forces at the ankle which may be why you experience more achilles pain with cushioning. The reason fell shoes are low profile and narrow is to improve stability (Why wouldn't this also be an advantage in other footwear)

Beware of the dreaded shin splints.
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Brummy John View Post
    Beware of the dreaded shin splints.
    I can't agree with that. The only time I've ever had shin splints was 20 odd years ago and they were caused by a pair of those newfangled Nike air cushioned shoes.

Having run for so many years in the likes of PB Racers I now find that I can't run in anything with a cushioned sole or that offers "support".

Thanks everyone. I've hiked a fair bit in my walshes on rocky ground and have been fine but not done many days in a row, but my feet are well used to them so I think I am probably worrying over nothing.

Just a little bit concerned that my achilles will flare up again with only six weeks until I go away. I am a little bit paranoid as one illio-tibial band (sp?) flared up after 4 days on my last himalayan trek which cut the trek short, so fingers crossed that all will be well this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by escher View Post
    Just a little bit concerned that my achilles will flare up again with only six weeks until I go away. I am a little bit paranoid as one illio-tibial band (sp?) flared up after 4 days on my last himalayan trek which cut the trek short, so fingers crossed that all will be well this time around.
    Six weeks should be plenty of time to get some strength training in. Work on your Quads, Glutes (Esp. Glute Med. which helps stabilise leg rotation that can irritate ITB) and Calf muscles. Help strengthen ankles and feet by walking around the house in barefeet or socks even at work, if at all possible, you can kick off your shoes. There are specific exercises you can do too but you'll need some sort of balance board or wobble cushion to help you.

Stabilising your Hip, Knee and ankle thus preventing injury through fatigue of weak muscles. Less cushioning in your soles forces the body to rely on muscles to absorb shock so you would do well to give yourself the best chance possible.

Also make sure your stretching and massage as tight calf muscles can irritate Achillies injuries. Massaging down your ITB, although excrutiatingly painful, can help relieve the tension.

Good luck!

Thanks Bonobo for some great advice.

I am doing 1/2 an hour of stretching everyday with 15-20 minutes of calf stretching as per advice on achillestendon.com, and I have been regularly stretching my ITB's since the middle of the summer and even when I was running 40 fell miles a week they weren't giving me any problems, both times I have knackered them was when I wasn't properly prepared. Once snow shoeing up the Argentiere glacier a few hours after arriving by car in Chamonix out of shape and the other after 4 days of hiking without much preparation beforehand.

I have realised that I cannot just rely on my residual fitness anymore when I have just gone out somewhere and pushed myself without being in better shape, recipe for disaster! My aging tendons are not so forgiving as they once used to be.

I've ordered a wobble board and will get some lunges and calf raise sessions so fingers crossed all will be well in six weeks.

Thanks again.

Escher

The problem is the achilles as you say originally.

The achilles is put under more strain, the lower profile of the heel, as the tendon is stretched more with each footstrike.

I've had a similar problem from road running in flats - I started with Nike Skylons, which are light, full phylon sole, nbut have a decent heel height and changed to the lower NB 834, which were a great shoe, but too low in the heel for me.
    Back on the skylon's no problem. Can still race in 834's in fact I now have the updated 835, but everyday running in them was not for me.

Used ibuprofen gel for relief as well. Once the inflamation is down, it seems to settle quite well.