Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fell Running for puppies

Question Fell Running for puppies

I would like any advice on running with dogs. How old do they have to be before I take them fell running, how far can they go. etc. I have a newish Golden Retriever puppy (5 months). Although there is lots of information out there on general exercise for dogs, I am looking to do some ultra marathons this year and need to know how much the dog will be able to fit in with my training before I risk damaging her.

Master

Re: Fell Running for puppies

I am no expert but i certainly wouldn`t be expecting to be running a dog over any real distance until it was fully developed (Say 12mths old) then i would treat it the same as myself and build up its distance progressively.

I fell you should also take the Breed of dog into account and remember what a particular breed has been bred to do.

I Have a Four year old Border collie that will Happily cover long distances 25+ miles and still be ready for more but then collies are bred to spend long days on rough terrain and to cover the ground quickly when need be, and they are built for it, i for one would not expect a Retriever if i had one to cover the long distance that my collie is capable of as i reckon a retriever is happier doing short fast bursts and ambling back with something in its mouth.

But i could be wrong of course
    The older I get the Faster I was

I completely agree with the above. I had a border collie that could go for miles- but even with him I waited until he was a year old. We got a new pup a couple of years ago (Jack Russel). He also has increadible stamina and speed but anything over 6 miles does tire him out. Labs should be fine on the hills but do ease him into it as he gets older.
    I love running with my dog- better than running with other humans and the bond and trust you develop as you run is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Skelhorn View Post
    I would like any advice on running with dogs. How old do they have to be before I take them fell running, how far can they go. etc. I have a newish Golden Retriever puppy (5 months). Although there is lots of information out there on general exercise for dogs, I am looking to do some ultra marathons this year and need to know how much the dog will be able to fit in with my training before I risk damaging her.
    How Cruel !!!! Shame on You

Although i have a dog myself (Border Collie), i have read, and wouldnt anyway subject him to such a harsh training regime. any runs that they do with you should be enjoyable for you both and in no way over taxing for the dog. it is well documented that collies are able to do long distances over rough terrain without showing too much stress. (not sure about a retriever) .....BUT how would you like to be discussed here on the forum, with respect to how far you could go without being damaged !!!!!

if you want something to accompany you on your long training runs....i suggest that you get an IPOD, and stop treating your dog as something to just fit in with your training plans, before probably being discarded when she's knackered

Rant Over
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Stones View Post
    How Cruel !!!! Shame on You

Although i have a dog myself (Border Collie), i have read, and wouldnt anyway subject him to such a harsh training regime. any runs that they do with you should be enjoyable for you both and in no way over taxing for the dog. it is well documented that collies are able to do long distances over rough terrain without showing too much stress. (not sure about a retriever) .....BUT how would you like to be discussed here on the forum, with respect to how far you could go without being damaged !!!!!

if you want something to accompany you on your long training runs....i suggest that you get an IPOD, and stop treating your dog as something to just fit in with your training plans, before probably being discarded when she's knackered

Rant Over
    Nice Rant but and i am not going to argue, but i will point out that my dog is not something that fits in with my training plans its more a case that my training fits in with her need for exercise , and you are quite right we both get a lot of pleasure from the experience ,she is constantly monitored for fatigue, stress, lameness etc etc and she has never shown any signs of any of them.
    Unlike me who generally ends up suffering from them all therefore spoiling her day out by returning home before she is ready.

But then as i say my collie started coming out with me over shorter distances and progressively built up to cover longer distances, on terrain that she was bred for.

Unlike so many dogs that spend most of there walking life on Tarmac (which no breed of animal has been designed for) with maybe a quick run round the park if it`s keeper has time or its not raining etc etc, now that is a regime that is cruel and i would never subject a dog to.

As to her being being discarded when knackered, i respectfully suggest that it may be prudent of you to get to know people first, before you judge them as to what respect they may or may not have for loyal companions, rather than judging strangers from a few words written on a internet forum

As to the Ipod just watch out for the motor- vehicle/mountain bike/ falling rocks/shouts of warning you don`t hear.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Once a young dog has matured (12 months) there is absolutely no problem fell running with them. They are natural running machines! A dog like this will run 50 miles per day as a working dog with ease. If you obey the usual rules of building mileage with them I can assure you, you will not wear them out.
    You're biggest problem may be getting the sheep interest out of the dog but if you do you will have a running companion par excellence.
    Congratulations on your choice of dog and I hope you have as many good experiences as I have had with my now, sadly retired 15 year old.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 25-01-2007 at 09:09 PM.

Be very carefull and patient with the dog. A retriever is not a collie or really bred for long distance work. I am sure it will manage just fine, but it will need to build up mileage slowly. Possibly at least 2 year old before you even attempt long hard stuff, but I would seriously check with your vet first. The last thing you want is damage to hips etc. by running it too young.
    Isn't a year for a dog equivalent to aprox. 6 human years? This may be a very rough guideline.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Thanks for all the advice. Of course I won't be taking on her for any proper fell runs until she is at least a year old (and a little better trained). Then I will be introducing her gradually and only taking her with me when the run is suitable. The whole point is that I want to avoid putting stress on her, so that she enjoys running, and can have a long and healthy life in the hills.

It looks like all this year's long runs will have to be with my fellow (mostly already damaged) humans.
    Attached Images Attached Images

oh how cute is she

my mum has got a retriever puppy about 10 months now i think

david

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    But i could be wrong of course
    Very wrong actually. A Golden Retriever may lack the speed and agility of a border collie but they were also bred as working dogs and are a lot tougher than their generally gentle nature would suggest. Mine is now arthritic and retired at nearly 13 and a half but she was my running companion for about 10 years and never had any difficulty keeping in front of me for anything up to 3 hours (at which point I tend to collapse!). Start her off gently, build the mileage up slowly and she'll be fine. Just be careful in hot weather as they tend to overheat but a quick dunk in a stream soon sorts that out.