Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: focus bikes

Re: focus bikes

Quote Originally Posted by lilactime View Post
    anyone got a planet x carbon road bike ?
    Carbon?? Everyone at PX is going Titanium

Titanium Pompino next I heard.....

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Cables do stretch but that's why they are fitted with adjusters. If a cable stretches just twiddle the adjuster a bit to take up the slack. Where's the problem ?
    im useless ?

david

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Titanium Pompino next I heard.....
    I heard it's already on Brett's shopping list .

david

im useless ?
    No-one is so useless they can't adjust a cable. If in doubt just consult the oracle.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    No-one is so useless they can't adjust a cable. If in doubt just consult the oracle.
    new to racing bikes , due to injury , bought dawes giro 300 6 months ago to see if i liked it ( i do ), been excellent but have decided i want to upgrade . im learning fast and will consult the oracle .

new to racing bikes , due to injury , bought dawes giro 300 6 months ago to see if i liked it ( i do ), been excellent but have decided i want to upgrade . im learning fast and will consult the oracle .
    New to racing bikes??

Do you mean new to "racing bikes" as in the slang for road bikes?

Or new to the racing of bikes?

Either way that would suggest either:-

a) you have experience with Mtn bikes - and should know how to adjust cables.

b)you haven't raced bikes before - but you have ridden them for a while, and surely you came up against adjusting cables then?

c)You are totally new to riding bikes in any shape or form immaterial of whether it is for competition or not?

It's simple enough to get the hang of anyway. Most bike mechanics are, especially when (as Dave has already illustrated) you have access to the great sheldon brown (god rest his soul).
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

ive only rode bikes when injured and i cant run . my other injuries have only lasted weeks , so ive rode around on old mountain bikes , all repair work adjustment of cables ect was done at my lbs . im now injured long term ( plantar f ) . so im taking the biking a bit more seriously ( hence the purchase of a " road bike " ) getting better all the time on my cheap dawes , and now want something better , and will enter some local races . looked at the oracle and now know how to turn a screw .

ive only rode bikes when injured and i cant run . my other injuries have only lasted weeks , so ive rode around on old mountain bikes , all repair work adjustment of cables ect was done at my lbs . im now injured long term ( plantar f ) . so im taking the biking a bit more seriously ( hence the purchase of a " road bike " ) getting better all the time on my cheap dawes , and now want something better , and will enter some local races . looked at the oracle and now know how to turn a screw .
    There's usually little barrel adjusters, not sure what gruppo you have, but you can either find them on the cable, or where the cables which leave the shifters meet the frame (just before the exposed section of inner cable), on mtn bike style shifters they are right where the cable meets the shifter, also if you look at the mech you will see there's one where the outer cable meets it.

Still suprised if you have rode bikes at all that you haven't come up against cable stretch - in my experience it starts pretty soon after you get the bike, and settles down when you've ridden it a while. Couldn't your LBS be bothered teaching you how to do if for yourself? - hope they didn't charge you for the pleasure!!

If there's too much stretch to compensate for with the barrel adjusters (or oppositely if the cable has been clamped too tight and you don't have enough slack) that's when you adjust the inner cable by reclamping it - but this is a bit harder than just using the barrel adjusters with more room for cock ups, but still pretty easy.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

I bought a mountain bike form Wiggle about two years ago. Came in a huge box (which was recycled as a wendy house) ready to ride. Handlebars, saddle, pedals, the lot.

Would recommend Wiggle to anyone.
    He's big and he's good.

Couldn't believe the Ozzie girl I was out with on Sunday said she had never heard of Campagnolo and they only had Shimano in Oz!! Is Campag purely confined to Europe then!!??!!
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!