Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bitten by a dog!

Re: Bitten by a dog!

As a dog owner of a friendly waggy tailed variety it really pisses me off when i get her under control and to heel for runners to pass easily and rarely get a thank you. There are two sides to this argument. No-one is going too fast to say thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    As a dog owner of a friendly waggy tailed variety it really pisses me off when i get her under control and to heel for runners to pass easily and rarely get a thank you. There are two sides to this argument. No-one is going too fast to say thanks.
    Keep it under control to begin with and you wouldn't have to get it under control just because someone else want's to go past without being chased / bitten!

Out on the bike earliery an irresponsible owner was letting their dog run free. The dog ran infront of me about 3 or 4 times, causing me to break sharply, before the owner finally called it to heel. Surely the idiot could have worked out that if I'd hit his dog it would have come off worse.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    all dogs have to wear a collar and tag or it's upto 5 grand's worth of fine, so if there isn't a collar they can also be reported. (Control of Dog's Order 1992)
    is this still the case?

I wasn't sure if the wording had changed with the widespread use of 'chipping'. I'd say chipping is far better than a collar tag. The tags on our dogs have been dragged off when running through under growth.

I don't like collars on the dogs really, they do if they may need Leads or night lights, but I prefer no collar at all (Remember Pickles? The World Cup dog?) and was wondering if this had changed with chipping?

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    Out on the bike earliery an irresponsible owner was letting their dog run free.
    running free isn't necesarily irresponsible. In fact its irresponsible to NOT let a dog run free at least for some period in a day. A tired dog is a good dog.

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    is this still the case?

I wasn't sure if the wording had changed with the widespread use of 'chipping'. I'd say chipping is far better than a collar tag. The tags on our dogs have been dragged off when running through under growth.

I don't like collars on the dogs really, they do if they may need Leads or night lights, but I prefer no collar at all (Remember Pickles? The World Cup dog?) and was wondering if this had changed with chipping?
    According to the kennel club website it still is, there's also a big sign outside the pet shop saying this too. The problem with chipping is not everybody is going to do it, you only get responsible dog owners doing it. Also it's quite difficult to identify the dog unless it's taken to the vets or possibly the police. Some woman went on at me an d the mrs at length about why our dog needed a collar. I really should have just told her where to shove it, but I guess I'm just too polite

On a related note, this was a woman who who had two elderly border collies, we made our dog wait at the corner of the street as she passed, she says "don't let him come rushing over" we weren't followed by "my dogs aren't friendly towards younger dogs" and then brings them over to see our dog
    Then we get the lecture about proper dog ownership the last time someone spoke to me like that I was 5!

In the last 6 months our dogs have lost one identity tag, which said they were tagged, and one LED light which cost about a tenner. It's OK when they fall of at night as they still flash, but this one came off when I left it on her during the day. They run through rushes and undergrowth and come back with vegetation stuck in their collars so things easily get ripped off. Should get stronger connections for them. The new lights, ruff wear or whatever it's called, look like they'll stay on.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    In the last 6 months our dogs have lost one identity tag, which said they were tagged, and one LED light which cost about a tenner. It's OK when they fall of at night as they still flash, but this one came off when I left it on her during the day. They run through rushes and undergrowth and come back with vegetation stuck in their collars so things easily get ripped off. Should get stronger connections for them. The new lights, ruff wear or whatever it's called, look like they'll stay on.
    I've got an image stuck in my head now of a dog wearing a head torch.... Which head torch is best for dogs??? The thread could run for years....

Graeme

I stick a head torch on my dogs harness, I did think about putting one round his neck, except he'd chew it off. I use the petzl tikka(?) and stick his cheapo flashing collar on. He's still a buggar for running off and hiding though.

I do agree about collars coming off too easily, apparently that's why working gundogs don't wear collars, it's all too easy for them to get snagged on something. It's not just losing the collar, the dog could end up in serious distress.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    It's not just losing the collar, the dog could end up in serious distress.
    Pickles, the dog that found the Soccer world cup trophy, died by getting his leash caught on a tree while chasing a cat and hung himself (I think Pickles was a he?).