Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longer Races

Longer Races

Hi,

Having done several AS, BS and shorter medium races I thought I'd try something a bit longer. I've looked at the Winter Hill Fell Race and noticed they give you grid references.

Navigation isn't a problem for me as I've done a few mountain marathons and several orienteering events since I was a kid.

Just wondering, does this mean the courses aren't taped and what sort of system do they use to prove you've actually been to the checkpoints (SI card?)
    Or is it just a case of follow the crowd.

HELP
    God made the Hills!!
    Feel Awe!!
    My Blog

Re: Longer Races

Just wondering, does this mean the courses aren't taped and what sort of
    system do they use to prove you've actually been to the checkpoints (SI card?)
    I don't know about this specific race, but I think fell races rarely use an SI card (Kinder Trial did last weekend, but that was very close to being an orienteering event). Someone with more knowledge of orienteering can correct me, but I believe fell races are more like the red courses in orienteering.

Often there are marshalls ticking you off as you pass some of the checkpoints (but they might not bother at them all). In last years Tigger Tor for instance, they only seemed to care about your number at two of the 10 checkpoints.

There might be some parts of the course taped - sometimes the start/end area and any environmentally sensitive parts are taped off.

If they're publishing grid references, then you can assume that most of the course is unmarked. So you'll technically fend for yourself, but as you all start together it is often a case of follow everyone else. But at all times you are responsible for knowing where you are. So you'll be assumed to be able to navigate out of fog and you can't blame anyone if you follow an idiot (usually me) who goes the wrong way.

Fell races normally have obvious checkpoints like trig points, path junctions etc. Only whacky races like the Kinder Trial have checkpoints hidden behind bushes in the middle of nowhere.

No not taped.

Normally they just use Marshalls checking you off, sometimes old style punches, sometimes electronic devices.

I've just noticed the entry form says that "part of the route is marked and must be followed". There's a lot of private land on the course.

Thanks this all helps!
    God made the Hills!!
    Feel Awe!!
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Hi,

Having done several AS, BS and shorter medium races I thought I'd try something a bit longer. I've looked at the Winter Hill Fell Race and noticed they give you grid references.

Navigation isn't a problem for me as I've done a few mountain marathons and several orienteering events since I was a kid.

Just wondering, does this mean the courses aren't taped and what sort of system do they use to prove you've actually been to the checkpoints (SI card?)

HELP
    At Winter Hill you will probably be able to follow the crowd but your navigatonal skills will be useful if the clag is down later in the race. There will be a marshal at every checkpoint noting down numbers.
    The only marked sections are from the start up to Rivington Pike and from the last checkpoint to the finish.

At Winter Hill there is one bit that is on private land.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    At Winter Hill you will probably be able to follow the crowd but your navigatonal skills will be useful if the clag is down later in the race. There will be a marshal at every checkpoint noting down numbers.
    The only marked sections are from the start up to Rivington Pike and from the last checkpoint to the finish.
    It is quite easy to get lost on this race if the cloud is down. Either you keep an eye on the map (which you should do) or follow someone (which you shouldnt do). The latter may not be an option later in the race as the field spreads and other runners can dissappear quickly into the gloom.

Graeme

Also try half tour of Pendle, might not be as long as you'd like though, 9miles 2250' ascent.

Banned

Another AM 9m 2300' ascent, enter on the day, bit flagged and 3 check points to navigate.
    http://www.todharriers.co.uk/noonstone.htm