Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 mile week

100 mile week

The latest RW has someone saying you can't run a decent marathon without runing 100 miles in 5 runs before hand. Hmm, but wait...

They go on to suggest this is done either back to back in one week, but not within 2 weeks of the race, or on consecutive weekends!!!

Anyone not training for ultras ever done anything as mental as this?

Jason
    Last edited by Trossachs?; 29-01-2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: very bad spelling the ghost of my english teachr would haunt me for
    Is it meant to be this hard?

Re: 100 mile week

I saw this and it had me thinking, sometimes there are that many different ideas you dont know which way to go for the best

I've heard the saying 'you5 5 longest runs should add up to more than 100miles' quite a bit, but never any reference to timing. For fell runners I don't think its as important, because we do many 'long' runs, as in greater than 3-4 hrs, yet low distances, but still get many f the benefits.

Ehm my training regime was pretty non existant last year, yet I still ran my best performance to date in the mountain marathon. I think I would be lucky if it added up to 100 miles per year never mind week!!
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Lore of Running suggests somewhere in the book that for a good serious marathon time you should be looking at 100 miles a week training regime for some of the weeks.

Just cannot see that as a possibility as thats 15 miles a day plus a 25 mile long run and 1 day off? Mine is around half of that at the moment and I think I am doing well. Any more and the wife may have a lot to say about it.

Anyone managing 100 a week?

A couple of 60s and a 65 so far, aiming for a 90 in April, but now thinking of the 'Big 5'. If it doesn't kill you... etc.

Luckily my partner is writing up her PhD so is even more preoccupied than me, I have left her in Northumberland this week with the dog, lots of food and no car so she can bury herself in work and I might go to pick her up on Friday, having a couple of more days near Haltwhistle myself.

So far it feels ok but not done enough of road hill hours, which will have to change as soon as the weather evens out a bit. However I can't imagine the mega miles ahead.

Jason
    Is it meant to be this hard?

between 2000 and 2004 I was doing 30-40 runs per year over 20 miles and I had my best performances on all distances. I'm not sure it was a good thing to do, tough.

100 mile week? I struggle to do 100 miles a month!

Master

I ran the Snowdonia marathon in 2.56 and finished 7th off an average of 25miles per week.And I was 12pounds overweight, oh and still am.

So as not to mislead, i did weight train once a week and occasionally rode the bike.

My team mate at Trafford ac-Karl Harrison, ran the London marathon in 2.14 in the late 80s.He was hired as pace maker, but after reaching halfway he felt ok, so continued.At that time he was running about 50miles a week, with the longest run of 15miles.

In fact Karl rarely ran more than 70 miles a week, and hardly ever trained twice a day.And he could run 13.36 -5k and 28.12-10k.

These magazines ran out of anything interesting to say years ago.So they tell us the same thing in hundreds of different ways, with the occasional shock thrown in to confuse people.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    In fact Karl rarely ran more than 70 miles a week, and hardly ever trained twice a day.And he could run 13.36 -5k and 28.12-10k.
    God given ability.....

Maybe he could have run 13:06 and 27:20 if he'd run twice a day and 100miles a week. Or maybe he'd have been injured all the time - we'll never know!

But different strokes for different folks and all that. The idea is to find out what works best for you within the time and effort you are prepared to put in. Thats why the training schedules you see in magazines are nonsense - they assume that everyone is the same.
    Leeds City AC: "Pure Sporting Delight"