Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 mile week

Re: 100 mile week

I'm doing in 50s at the moment, looking to get up in the high 60s preparing for the 3 Peaks; my other half already thinks I'm totally obsessed...don't think I'll mention 100 mile weeks to her!

Cheers for putting things in perspective - Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    Just cannot see that as a possibility as thats 15 miles a day plus a 25 mile long run and 1 day off? Mine is around half of that at the moment and I think I am doing well. Any more and the wife may have a lot to say about it.

Anyone managing 100 a week?
    I only do about 40 per week so have no idea what it's like, but there are a few on here that do 100 mpw. RR for one and see bisto's training log and lots of high milage others. I'm sure that 100mpw isn't that uncommon for some of the quick guys these days

Quote Originally Posted by Bleaklow View Post
    I only do about 40 per week so have no idea what it's like, but there are a few on here that do 100 mpw. RR for one and see bisto's training log and lots of high milage others. I'm sure that 100mpw isn't that uncommon for some of the quick guys these days
    Let me rephrase that, I just cannot see that as a possibility for me whilst still married.

Know there is a fair few people up there. And comfortable with that milage. Just seems quite far away at the moment for me personally.

Hoping to be nearer 70 before summer with longer runs to and from work counting as good tempo running and then speed and hill specific on top.

It'd be interesting to know how many do high milage on the fells.

I do 45 ish mpw, but average 10,000ft a week, but find 50-55, is about my limit, while racing and staying reasonably fresh.

I think that you've hit it on the head there IainR, with 10,000 feet/week, for distance fell running. It is generally acknowledged that 3 months of 10,000 feet/week, prior to a 3 week taper down, is what is needed to get round the B.G. Not that I personally get anywhere near that. No.6 got round the B.G. last year with 9 minutes to spare. Being a teacher he had the February half-term and Easter holidays to play with, when he pushed it to 24,000 feet/week, but it did not make him faster overall. Having said that, we were sub 7 minute miling down the Newlands Valley; so it helped his staying power.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Track Fairy View Post
    God given ability.....

Maybe he could have run 13:06 and 27:20 if he'd run twice a day and 100miles a week. Or maybe he'd have been injured all the time - we'll never know!

But different strokes for different folks and all that. The idea is to find out what works best for you within the time and effort you are prepared to put in. Thats why the training schedules you see in magazines are nonsense - they assume that everyone is the same.
    Actually when he experimented running further he got slower!He ran competively for around 25 years, and I remember him telling me that he hardly ever got injured.

Athletes today have accepted the notion of more is better, and as they get slower they compound the problem by running even more.Many good athletes would get over sticking points, just by reducing their training.

Regards C.LEIGH

On the other hand lots of runners don't run to 'train' at all but enjoy their running so much they just have to pack in the mileage. Also runners that like longer distances and the longer fell races just can't do them without wanting to be out in the hills running.... alot. I doubt many ultra runners have got by with 12 miles a week either

Okay I'm not a fast runner but I could run a 3 peaks or Borrowdale or Tour of Pendle tomorrow no probs. I could run a full marathon tomorrow too, even though I did ten miles tonight and 4 miles yesterday, and I'd still be okay to run the following day. That's the advantage of running a lot - I think some people make their running a complete drudgery and, surprise, surprise it all becomes a hamster in a wheel like experience. Stop all that and just get out in the hills and enjoy yourself from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    On the other hand lots of runners don't run to 'train' at all but enjoy their running so much they just have to pack in the mileage. Also runners that like longer distances and the longer fell races just can't do them without wanting to be out in the hills running.... alot. I doubt many ultra runners have got by with 12 miles a week either

Okay I'm not a fast runner but I could run a 3 peaks or Borrowdale or Tour of Pendle tomorrow no probs. I could run a full marathon tomorrow too, even though I did ten miles tonight and 4 miles yesterday, and I'd still be okay to run the following day. That's the advantage of running a lot - I think some people make their running a complete drudgery and, surprise, surprise it all becomes a hamster in a wheel like experience. Stop all that and just get out in the hills and enjoy yourself from time to time.
    Well said, Stolly
    Hills and Guinness!

I've toyed with the idea of 100mpw and am sure it would be of benefit provided you can keep the quality and not just run for the sake of running 100mpw. At present I'm on just under 50 and am sure at some point I'll hit 100 but its a few years down the line. My coach has me on a plan to be doing consistant 70mpw within 2 years which may not seem that hard but I've got to be careful as I'm one for injuries. I don't believe training should be all about mega miles but should have quality. If you think african athlete they do mega miles but can still run quick and I believe its down to a combination of miles and quality at the end of the day not just miles and miles. This is the mistake the club I run for makes. (I'm not coached by my club)

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    100 mile week? I struggle to do 100 miles a month!
    I'll second that. With family and work commitments, a 100 mile month would be an acheivement!

Realistically, with cycle and swim training for tri's I don't know if I'd ever manage a great deal more than I do now... that's one explanation for being perrenially near the back. I know, I know, it sounds like an excuse, but I think it's got something to do with it.

... plus my genes... and beer... does Sarah Rowell have a place for curry in that book of hers?
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge