Thread: First race ideas/Peak District

First race ideas/Peak District

Recently moved nearer the Peak District, do road running once a week and sometimes some cross country, have done 10ks, half marathons and one marathon over the last few years, but am being drawn to the scary world of fell runnning.

Any suggestions for first races in the PD - was thinking about Lad's Leap in April? But haven't got a clue whether this is a hard one for a beginner.

Also, in terms of shoes, i've got a Saucony hybrid which gives me a bit of extra grip but should i invest in a pair of proper fell shoes?

Re: First race ideas/Peak Dist

Quote Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
    Recently moved nearer the Peak District, do road running once a week and sometimes some cross country, have done 10ks, half marathons and one marathon over the last few years, but am being drawn to the scary world of fell runnning.

Any suggestions for first races in the PD - was thinking about Lad's Leap in April? But haven't got a clue whether this is a hard one for a beginner.

Also, in terms of shoes, i've got a Saucony hybrid which gives me a bit of extra grip but should i invest in a pair of proper fell shoes?
    Hi StevieG welcome to the forum

We seem to be asked this comment about once a month.

Depending which side of the peak you are living try Dark Peaks Calender or Hayfield race calender or Totley

If you are here already try the Mickledon Straddle this Sunday, If you can navigate and have a phone there's the Edale Skyline end of March.

Loads to have a go at, just get out there
    Ian

A few of the peak races are quite trail like so you'll be fine in what you have. Totley Moor and Burbage Skyline, both in May are both nice intro races, and largely on trails.

Super Moderator

Stevie, if you're south of the Peak have a look at David Denton's Running with David web-site. He organises a series of races in the Belper, Matlock area, which would be ideal for a newbie. Have fun!

Stevie,
    I'm taking a leap of faith this weekend and doing the Mickleden Straddle as my first race.. followed by the Edale Skyline in March still places left as far as I know!

I think it's one of those 'getting stuck in and being surprised if you don't come last' thangs!
    Last edited by Nickc; 30-01-2008 at 11:26 PM.

Lad's Leap is definitely a good race to start with. It's got a steep climb at the start, a nice steady bit in the middle & finish with the same steep descent - a bit of everything, really.

Kinder Downfall, from Hayfield, also in April, is another excellent one to get you into it.