Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Southern clubs?

Re: Southern clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Probably explains why we’re not very good.
    Don't do yourself down, Mr Invisible! Your commitment to fell running from deepest Essex is to be admired!

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    We took 30 to Box Hill last week (140 mile round trip) and there are similar numbers going to Long Mynd this weekend (400 mile).
    Yes we saw the droves of white and yellow Springfield vests at Box Hill (mostly behind us ), and I've seen the entries for Edale, where we have a dozen entries ourselves. But I think you are going to outnumber me at the Long Mynd this weekend, where Tring pride rests on my solitary shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    Don't do yourself down, Mr Invisible! Your commitment to fell running from deepest Essex is to be admired!
    Commitment might be the right word.

Look forward to seeing you at the weekend

There a few fell runners who live on the Isle of Wight!

Have a look at http://www.rydeharriers.co.uk/

We organise the SEAA Fell Running Championships and a few of us travel 'up north' now and again to do the odd fell race.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Unfortunately, Raymond, there are no clubs around our way that are too interested in hill running. My club, Steyning, is about the only exception. A handful of us prefer the Downs to roadrunning, which seems to be the norm for Brighton clubs.
    Annoying as it may be, you just have to accept the solitude of running on your own and look down on those who prefer the monotany of pounding the streets. You are more than welcome to come running with me when I've gotten over this PF.
    Hello Pav - fourtunately I do really like trudging over the downs on my tod; I like the physical and the mental benefits of pushing yourself without other distractions. If either Sam or Phil are reading this it doesn't mean that I don't also like our Sunday morning group outings; the truth is I'm happy doing both.

The club thing is more about learning from others experience (which this forum seems pretty good at) and taking part in races not as some individual who has just traversed half the country on his lonesome (and who will run round and travel home the same way), but rather as part of a team which has some social connection and support. Luckily by posting up this thread I have made contact with a fellow Milton Keynes AC runner so there's some possibility there.

All of which doesn't mean that I wouldn't be up for a run out with you sometime; just promise you'll be gentle with me...see you at the 3 Forts if not before.

Cheers - Raymond

A mention of Stroud on the forum. What a pleasant surprise! The town itself is at the meeting point ('confluence' being the correct term I believe) of 'the Five Valleys'. There's some great hill running to be had on a variety of terrains, hence the fairly strong turnout at Snowdon, the Ben etc. Having said that, it would still be great to be that bit closer to the Lake District and be able to get familiar with the territory and run some of the races up there....

FellDownHarriers? Yes there was some debate on that and I got momentarily involved but it came to nowt. I did meet up with Pav at the Lancing SteepDown last year (hope the PF is better) "which was nice" and got a few email addresses from people but we seem to be few and far between. When I speak to people I know about running on the Downs they just think I'm mad. I will / do post up dates for any hilly Southern races though so keep your eyes peeled.

Downsman - are you joining me at the Meon Valley Plod on Sunday? Twenty hilly muddy miles - great fun!

Wasn't aware of that race but it sounds 'fun'! It's nice over that way - do you do Butser as well?

Details are on the Portsmouth joggers site www.pjc.org.uk you can normally enter on the day. The course includes Butser as well as a few other bumps.

Thames hare and hounds, while predominantly a xc club (and the oldest one in the world at that) have a few fell-minded individuals. Some of them did the Long Mynd Valleys Fell Race last weekend in preparation for the manx mountain marathon. The Welsh castles relay (while not strictly fell it does have a few ups and downs) is also their main summer fixture in the off-season for xc.

Based on Wimbldon common adjacent to Richmond park the undulations wont prepare you for northern fell but its the most off road running you'll get in London and not far from Box Hill and the Surrey hills.

http://www.thameshareandhounds.org.uk