Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Southern clubs?

Re: Southern clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Do one View Post
    Thames hare and hounds, while predominantly a xc club (and the oldest one in the world at that) have a few fell-minded individuals. Some of them did the Long Mynd Valleys Fell Race last weekend in preparation for the manx mountain marathon. The Welsh castles relay (while not strictly fell it does have a few ups and downs) is also their main summer fixture in the off-season for xc.

Based on Wimbldon common adjacent to Richmond park the undulations wont prepare you for northern fell but its the most off road running you'll get in London and not far from Box Hill and the Surrey hills.

http://www.thameshareandhounds.org.uk
    Great club - can thoroughly recommend (we're members "up North" but he as in Jerry is still first claim Thames). Think they won the 3 Peaks team prize last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Do one View Post
    The Welsh castles relay (while not strictly fell it does have a few ups and downs) is also their main summer fixture in the off-season for xc.
    Just sending our club's entry off tonight - Bath hope to have three teams / 60 runners out for the week-end - highlight of our Club year!

I just had my first taste of fell running at the Box Hill Fell Race, and really enjoyed it...although, perhaps if i'd started out at a tougher race, I'd have lost all interest in fell running immediately!

I too am a geographically challenged and will be keeping an eye on this forum for ideas of where to train/race.

In the meantime, back to the small hills around Croydon...

Matt

Talking Re: Southern clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by mkmorgan View Post
    I just had my first taste of fell running at the Box Hill Fell Race, and really enjoyed it...although, perhaps if i'd started out at a tougher race, I'd have lost all interest in fell running immediately!

I too am a geographically challenged and will be keeping an eye on this forum for ideas of where to train/race.

In the meantime, back to the small hills around Croydon...

Matt
    Although Box Hill isn't really a proper fell race, it is a great introduction. Try making the occasional trip up north for a taste of the real thing

Cheers...will do!

Anyone recommend anywhere to train/race near Ladybower?
    I used to train there from time to time when I lived in Sheffield (although pretty much entierly on the flat), and I still visit family up there from time to time. I figure it might help to start somewhere I'm a little familiar with.

Matt

http://www.sloweb.org.uk/events/20070528/index.htm

Surrey hills race 28th May. 18, 10 and 6 miles options