Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Using a gps as backup in race?

Fellhound

Re: Using a gps as backup in r

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    If you have two people of equal ability the one who has recced the route will always be quicker in poor visibility
    Spot on Bill!

It's also very satisfying to recce a route then find it all clicking into place in clag on race day, with the map and compass safe and snug in the bum-bag.

I always remember running the Coniston in claggy weather and using my usual line round the side of Great How Crags. I was amazed when Andy Peace joined me from the left having been on a "walkabout". We shared strides for a short (very short!) stretch then when I changed down three gears for Brim Fell he just carried on at my top speed and soon disappeared. It made for good banter in the pub later though...

GPS systems could allow novice fell runners the safety net to compete in longer races, however a certain level of experience is needed for longer lakeland races as previously mentioned. Theres a lot to be said for making the longer hard races subject to having completed other A medium or long races, as at the Ben.
    Cuts some of the entry as well and potentialy reducing the organisers risk of having road runners lost and hypothermic in the hills.
    Still GPS could be a stipulation of entry for people without this experience.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by philgreen1968 View Post
    GPS systems could allow novice fell runners the safety net to compete in longer races, however a certain level of experience is needed for longer lakeland races as previously mentioned. Theres a lot to be said for making the longer hard races subject to having completed other A medium or long races, as at the Ben.
    Cuts some of the entry as well and potentialy reducing the organisers risk of having road runners lost and hypothermic in the hills.
    Still GPS could be a stipulation of entry for people without this experience.

I am not really sure that GPS is a safety net for novice fellrunners, as i think it is safe to assume that if a runner has little or no knowledge of navigation then in all probability they have little knowledge of basic survival techniques which in a worst case scenario could save there`s or somebody elses life.

Personally as back up should anybody think it`s necessary (i cant think why) then i have no prob`s with the idea.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I'd agree with that John. Despite what people think, I think it actually takes a bit of nouse to use a GPS competently, and you'd need some knowledge of maps to put the route info into the GPS.

I was thinking about this yesterday and I see no reason why a person should retire if they use a GPS though, afterall how is that really any different to following someone, and lets face it most of us will have done that to our advantage and disadvantage over the years.

One's follow a friend the other's "phone" a friend. The first just seems better to me somehow.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Well the bum bag became a lot lighter once Nokia got involved! Now only need the mobile with in built GPS.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7230686.stm

Got to admit I have a Nokia phone with GPS which means I am not allowed to take it with me on Mountain Marathons and have to take another. Has altimeter and you can get sat nav software using OS maps. Showing your position on the map and route taken.

Still prefer a proper map and still be faster to know the route in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    Well the bum bag became a lot lighter once Nokia got involved! Now only need the mobile with in built GPS.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7230686.stm

Got to admit I have a Nokia phone with GPS which means I am not allowed to take it with me on Mountain Marathons and have to take another. Has altimeter and you can get sat nav software using OS maps. Showing your position on the map and route taken.
    A great comment added to that article
    The question people want answered is: when will Nokia react to the Apple iPhone and bring out devices that have touch screen capabilities?
    No sooner will they have added that touch screen innovation that will they will have effectively removed mobiles and GPS from the fell runners bum bag; can you imagine operating your touch screen with bog covered hands?

Hmmm ... I'd say that if you feel you need a GPS to navigate on the Ben, then you would probably be a whole lot safer if you didn't use it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post
    Hmmm ... I'd say that if you feel you need a GPS to navigate on the Ben, then you would probably be a whole lot safer if you didn't use it!!
    Why?

I take it you've topped out from a climb in an absolute white out, blowing a hoolie?

I've been up there quite a lot and although I've never needed a GPS there I'd understand using one. My mates who have done loads on the Ben, once almost walked straight off the NE face, ended up roping up and edgeing down on bearings not seeing anything.

The use of a GPS to fix your position on a featureless terrain would probably be safer than continuing on until you saw a recognisable feature. Doing that you could quite easily stray onto and then through a cornice. Ok its better to never get lost but as runners (and climbers are bad for this) we often go quite far without checking a map and can make relocating tricky.

I sometimes wonder how much some of the posters on here have done in the mountains outside of race situations or summer running.

OK its better IMO to rely on your own skill with a M & C as much as possible, but better to be safe than sorry. If you aren't sure of your position and are in potentially dangerous terrain and have a GPS with you, why not just confirm.

of course we can always say you shouldn't be there at all if you can get lost which is rediculous, we've all been temporarily lost.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Why?

I take it you've topped out from a climb in an absolute white out, blowing a hoolie?

I've been up there quite a lot and although I've never needed a GPS there I'd understand using one. My mates who have done loads on the Ben, once almost walked straight off the NE face, ended up roping up and edgeing down on bearings not seeing anything.

The use of a GPS to fix your position on a featureless terrain would probably be safer than continuing on until you saw a recognisable feature. Doing that you could quite easily stray onto and then through a cornice. Ok its better to never get lost but as runners (and climbers are bad for this) we often go quite far without checking a map and can make relocating tricky.

I sometimes wonder how much some of the posters on here have done in the mountains outside of race situations or summer running.

OK its better IMO to rely on your own skill with a M & C as much as possible, but better to be safe than sorry. If you aren't sure of your position and are in potentially dangerous terrain and have a GPS with you, why not just confirm.

of course we can always say you shouldn't be there at all if you can get lost which is rediculous, we've all been temporarily lost.
    I've topped out many times in a hoolie and/or whiteout and had to crawl off on a short rope-length on the standard bearings due to not being able to stand up a few times (amazing how calm it can be on the North Face then stick your head on to the plateau and WOOF ).

I agree with Thuggie that 'if you feel you need a GPS to navigate on the Ben perhaps you shouldn't be there'.

Cheers, Ali