Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a house greener

novice

Making a house greener

We are moving house and are keen to make our new house a more environmentally sustainable place.

We're after recommendations of the sort of things you can do that are relatively inexpensive and any grants available

Thanks

Re: Making a house greener

Greener house? This is a nice shade.

Switch the heating off. Cold baths. Cold food. Don't swith the telly on, in fact do not use any electrical appliances unless absolutely necessary. Easy.

If you need any more advice do not hesitate to ask.

I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Cold baths
    Are you mad,just think of the water your wasting by washing yourself,your surely aware of the water shortages.
    Once you have moved into a cave why not try what i've been trying to perfect over the years.I personally reduce my carbon emissions by only breathing in and not out....i have imposed an exhalation ban in my house to make sure i'm carbon neutral.I'm finding it difficult at the moment,especially in Cat A med and long races.I already have a back up plan of tying a tree to my forehead so any emissions are almost instantly induced by the vegatation !!

I have a multi fuel stove and an endless supply of free wood from work. Saves wasting the gas and it's carbon neutral and very warm and looks nice so will give you somthing to watch instead of the TV thus offering further savings on your bills

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    I have a multi fuel stove and an endless supply of free wood from work. Saves wasting the gas and it's carbon neutral and very warm and looks nice so will give you somthing to watch instead of the TV thus offering further savings on your bills
    Surely burning the wood releases its carbon to the atmosphere. Why not keep warm by digging a hole and burying it, thus trapping the carbon deep underground.

Stupid comments aside......I have been in touch with these characters about making some energy saving improvements to my 200 year old cottage.I was looking for some small grants to help with basics like loft insulation.They also offered cavity walling,which we can't have due to having stone walls.They were willing to give us £2800 worth of grants if ....(wait for it).... we were on benefits !!! What a country !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders rambler View Post
    Stupid comments aside......I have been in touch with these characters about making some energy saving improvements to my 200 year old cottage.I was looking for some small grants to help with basics like loft insulation.They also offered cavity walling,which we can't have due to having stone walls.They were willing to give us £2800 worth of grants if ....(wait for it).... we were on benefits !!! What a country !!
    A local authority not far from here (Kirklees Metropolitan Council) is offering FREE cavity wall or loft insulation to all residents in suitable accomodation (wouldn't help you Rr ) irrespective of their work/income/benefit status.

Is it really free, though... err... oops sorry, wrong thread!
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...