Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My swimming credibility has

undercover moderator

Re: My swimming credibility ha

Quote Originally Posted by fellhell
    It's clear now that people who can swim well are not human - they must have gills or something.

Swam 800m breaststroke in 32½ minutes - i can't say it was really tiring as such, just so very uncomfortable for me.
    Just can't get my head to go under the water at all, it just feels horribly enclosed.
    I have never been much of a swimmer, though before this little foray I did do some training when I had a knee injury for three months.

I found that at first I could barely do crawl for a length, but perservering I found that it improved rapidly (I couldn't do the breastroke kick anyway, or my leg would have fallen off).

Even though that was 4/5 years ago, I've found it not too bad going straight back into crawl this time.

And, I got a book about swimming out of the library today, so I am now an expert.

I'm trying to keep the book dry though, so the pages don't stick together when I take it back. I would hate to create the wong impression.

And what is is with the sign in the library saying "please open your books before giving them to the assistant". What are they actually paid for? Do you have to scan your own things in the supermarket? Actually you do in the new Tescos in town now, and it's a right pain as you have to put the stuff on the little counter thing after. I think they can tell by weight if you are pretending the bottle of vodka is one of those mini packets of pringles. I could try a red wine and ribena thing though?

Anyway, there was a poster in the library advertising for auditions for Big Brioher as well. I'm going to wait until I'm a celebrity though.

ever feel the lifeguards are having a very big laugh at your expense??
    'That's what you get when you suffer - you get results'

undercover moderator

A splashy mile again today.

I wonder if they have to keep topping the pool up, or whether the amount of water I swallow is balanced by everyone ele's wee and sweat.

Have a look at these..

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/training/articles.php

Some good hints to convert splashing into propulsion.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

dont you live by the sea mud? - couldnt you get a wet suit and swim in the sea maybe?I'm sure you would have to swim half as far for the same training effect..................

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post
    dont you live by the sea mud? - couldnt you get a wet suit and swim in the sea maybe?I'm sure you would have to swim half as far for the same training effect..................
    It is a thought, isn't it. I think one of the tri-clubs does sea swims after Easter, but I want to get a bit better before then so they don't all laugh (and I don't get harpooned by whale hunters).

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    Have a look at these..

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/training/articles.php

Some good hints to convert splashing into propulsion.
    This is fantastic HH, thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    A splashy mile again today.

I wonder if they have to keep topping the pool up, or whether the amount of water I swallow is balanced by everyone ele's wee and sweat.

Mud - My swimming instructor told me to try an imagine that the hand entering the water needs to be like a streamlined arrow. At the time i was creating loads of splash as i was 'slapping' it down.

I had a bit of a beakthrough with my own frontcrawl style yesterday. I knocked my mile out a lot quicker by really trying to concentrate on ensuring that i did the full arm stroke. I did this by making sure that i touched the side of my thigh with the hand of the baksweeping arm, before bringing it of the water again. Bloody hell it made a massive diffeence.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

I really must learn to swim. On one of the Eng.Champ. races this year ( possibly Edale ? cant remember ) there is a plunge pool and waterfall to cool off in. Sadly I will have to watch from the sidelines to avoid possible drowning !

Just take a deep breath before you go, that way your corpse will float better, and its easier to fish out.
    New, young and ignorant.

Caught in the struggle of boy vs father.