Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Fred Whitton Challenge

Re: Fred Whitton

I'm doing this before the Coast to Coast up in Scotland
    A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Turns out I can't make it back from Spain in time :angry: oh well, can't really complain I suppose. Place gone to someone on the reserve list. Good luck with the weather guys, hope it holds!

Next year again hopefully.

Well hells bells I'm going for it on Thursday or Friday, whichever day promises the better (or neither if both days look shit, another day though). A year ago I hadn't done any serious cycling but I've been building it up over recent months, as well as acquiring kit (and bikes!). My timing chip arrived at the weekend and it's on!!

Any advice would be very welcome. I'm not after a time, just to complete it. The perils of hardknott, honister and wrynose are clear. I'm hoping to be able to ride it all, we'll see. Training has been ok I think, longest ride was 135 miles with 2,000 metres of climbing including pyms chair and a few others round the peaks - all of which I made it up and over without walking. The etape Eryi has also helped I hope,

The bike is a specialsed Roubaix Sport and a triple (forgive me purists!). It's been a good servant so far. I've added Mavic r-sys wheels.

Foodwise, it's gels, marzipan, jelly babies, malt loaf and plenty of juice on the go (sachets of 4:1 for the whole trip) plus good food stops in borrowdale, braithwaite, ennerdale bridge/gosforth and something in eskdale while I kack myself.

For those who've done it, what worked for you? Also, anything on the route beyond the obvious that's worth noting? Any tips folks?

ta

mark

My best bit of advice would be to not go mental on the climbs. (That's normally what most fellrunners do!) I know it is tricky on the climbs as your heart rate will rise, but try and keep the pace as even as possible. Don't go mental on the descents either as a crash will lose you time! Keep on eating too. I don't go 30 minutes without having a cereal bar or gel.

It should be a great day out. All the best.

HHH
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Thanks Harry, that's good advice. i did tend to hit the climbs hard in the sportives that ive been doing and sort of hang on whilst passing people. so blummen competitive, but yes, i was fairly pedestrian at the end so i can see what you're saying.

THanks

MArk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    Thanks Harry, that's good advice. i did tend to hit the climbs hard in the sportives that ive been doing and sort of hang on whilst passing people. so blummen competitive, but yes, i was fairly pedestrian at the end so i can see what you're saying.

THanks

MArk
    If you are still feeling fresh by Hardknott and Wrynose you can sprint up them!
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.