Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fred Whitton Challenge

Fred Whitton Challenge

Any other forumites doing this? Or done it before? If so, I'd be interested to hear what sort of training you did/are intending to do, in particular how you divided your time between running and cycling and how you got on as a result.

It'll be my first sportive, and I'm conscious that I've done virtually no training on the bike since autumn (fair weather ponce y'see!), plenty of hard running though.

Any other tips gratefully received too!

Re: Fred Whitton Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Trimm Trab View Post
    Any other forumites doing this? Or done it before? If so, I'd be interested to hear what sort of training you did/are intending to do, in particular how you divided your time between running and cycling and how you got on as a result.

It'll be my first sportive, and I'm conscious that I've done virtually no training on the bike since autumn (fair weather ponce y'see!), plenty of hard running though.

Any other tips gratefully received too!
    Did the lakeland loop last year and doing it again this year. 70 miles and a poor mans Fred. Just get some mileage in on steep climbs and suffer. Don't be ashamed if you get off and push on Hardknott Pass, the name says it all. Its hard and you'll Knott get up it with out low gears Comes after about 100 miles on the Fred and you've done some tough climbs before that. Got last years on DVD. Its a horror film. Best of luck Trimm Trab. Get that bike out Ady in Accy will tell you more.
    Last edited by stevefoster; 08-02-2008 at 10:39 PM.
    Hills and Guinness!

Plenty of running but no cycling won't help you that much on the sportive ride. Get out now, build up the distance, don't worry much about the speed. Get some big cogs on your sprocket, don't think 39*23 will do you! Check out the Audax UK site and get some shorter ones in before hand.

From what I can gather, 100+ miles is the easy bit!!! Done the Polka Dot a couple of times, and it's fair to say the hills in the Lakes are more severe. Helvellyn Tri goes up Kirkstone and my Compact chainset was not enough to get me up (that equated to 35 x 27). OK, so I'm no Richard Virenque... (I'm not very good with needles!).

There's a scene in Jaws where Richard Drefuss walks into the wheelhouse of the fishing vessel having had a close call with the shark, saying deadpan:

"You're gonna need a bigger boat"

Well, you're gonna need bigger gears and get some mileage in. Pace yourself and look at the times for last year.

As for cyclosportives, they're great and I'd do more if I'd not got into triathlon and what's it... er.. fell races.

And another thing... I'm a cyclist really (but slow at that too) and I get reminded again and again that despite the fact you use your legs for both, you are using very different muscles.

For me, to run hard 10 mile sessions on two consecutive days would be bloody sore, but get on my bike instead on the second day, and my legs feel fresh and strong. Maybe more specific hilly bike training is required even though your aerobically you're well set.

Enjoy it mate
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Lantern Rouge, if it's not too cheeky, what age are you? I'm now 57 and just got back to doing some cycling (nothing seriously competitive at the moment) two & half years ago after 23 years of only fell-running. I decided that I wanted 'one bike for every occasion' and bought my mate's Islabike 'crosser. It was fitted with 46/36 x 12 - 28 and I quickly realised that even on 36 x 28 I could not get up hills in Bowland that I used to dance up on 48 x 24 as a 7 stone 20 year old. I upgraded to XT mechs & b/b and fitted a compact LX c/set (44/32/22) that I had. 44 x 12 is probably nowhere near high enough for tri's, but 'Isla' is now a brilliantly versatile 'cross-training' tool, both on and off road (Schwalbe Landcruiser tyres) and I rode it from Lancaster to Lands End in summer 2007. The 22 x 27 was brilliant on some of those stonking hills on the Welsh border and in Devon.

I did it on my cross bike last year. I don't have a compact chainset so i stuck a 34-11 cassette on it and got up all the climbs ok. It's a fantastic event and don't take any notice of Merrylegs - you HAVE to ride up all the hills if only to tick the bit on your certificate! the lakeland Loop is good training for the event and a nice one in it's own right. Getting loads of miles in, unsurprisingly, the key to doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    I did it on my cross bike last year. I don't have a compact chainset so i stuck a 34-11 cassette on it and got up all the climbs ok. It's a fantastic event and don't take any notice of Merrylegs - you HAVE to ride up all the hills if only to tick the bit on your certificate! the lakeland Loop is good training for the event and a nice one in it's own right. Getting loads of miles in, unsurprisingly, the key to doing well.
    No don't take any notice of me, i'm too tight to fork out for a new chainset cos i'm a yorkie. I'll stick to my 39/27 and push, can't ever get an entry for the 'Fred' and you don't get a certificate on the lakeland loop. Guy on the dvd for last year's Fred rides on a 39/23 regular in the lakes Been singlespeeding up some grunting big climbs recently so we'll see if that's made a difference. Probably pedalled half and pushed half of Hardknott last year and never stopped for a rest and got up everything else. Like Fishbulb says though, low gears are the way, but he still had steam coming out of his ears
    Last edited by stevefoster; 10-02-2008 at 03:17 PM.
    Hills and Guinness!

The gears will be low, don't worry about that! I've got a triple and I'm not too proud to use it - going to lower the bottom gear to 30x27 nearer the time just for Hardknott. One thing in my favour is that I've ridden Honister, Newlands and Whinlatter loads of times and don't fear them at all - Honister in particular seems to scare people but I don't think it's too bad the FWC way (but from Buttermere it's hellish IMO). Going up to the Lakes next weekend to check out Hardknott

I've started my training in earnest now - went out with the local club for the first time today and got a fair few hills in. What Lantern says is true - I did a very hard run yesterday which really killed my legs, but I was able to keep up with the intermediate section no problem today. I suffered a hell of a lot more than usual on the very steep stuff though, but then I guess learning to suffer is no bad thing!

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming!

Sounds like your on the right track, you'll be fine, enjoy it Learning to suffer is good for the soul, ignore the body, its a whinger, mine is anyway
    Hills and Guinness!

You're all a bunch of puffs!! What's wrong with an 11-21 matched up with a 55 ring???....
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!