Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Fred Whitton Challenge

Re: Fred Whitton

Quote Originally Posted by Ginge Whinge View Post
    Drafting is a part of push bike pedalling - just think how dull Le Tour would be if it was a straight time trial day in day out. If done properly it's a great thing to do and gives a real buzz. A noisy group is a safe group and certainly some of the expletives and shouting going on in some of the groups I was riding in left no room for shirking front end responsibilities. You have to get organised to enable you to do a stint safely at the front and that often means getting very vocal with some riders who might not be used to wheel sucking. So next time ....get gobbier (word?)!

Loved every bit ofSunday but my official 8.34 finish precludes me from the proposed sub 7 team. Mind you i lost precisely 33 mins getting me rear wheel fixed at the bike shop top of Whinlatter so 1 day I will be telling me grandkids of my epic 8.01 FW ride!! . Descending Newlands with a disconnected rear wheel was no fun but I suppose the best of the biggies to have to do that. The bust spoke created a shocking buckle grinding up Whinlatter. Rode every bit of the route so was well chuffed. Bike computer gave ride time of 7.54 and felt good just for having only 7 mins to cover both feed stops. I reckon I can have a stab at 7.30 next year following this recce.

Saw Dave Soles on bits of the course and at the finish although it appeared to me that he would be happier on the fells. Me? - I'm stuck with this push bike malarky for the year as my plantar shows no sign of sorting itself out. Etape du Dales for me this Sun - anyone else doing the double?
    I loved the drafting and working with a group. It is the first time I've done it and I'm loving learning about the tactics of the sport.

Good luck for the Etape du Dales.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Yup, reckon I did about 90% of the course on my own and I also reckon that, if I have a few poeple to wrk with for the whole course, I am wel capable of sub 7! I reckon I lost about half an hour due to the wind... so that would have put me comfortably sub 8 on my lonesome...

I train with some very good guys and I know how much difference it makes to work together on a long tough ride! It conserves energy and ups the speed. It is part of cycling. We have time trials for non-drafting events

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    An August blast round sounds good.. keep us posted on dates. I ducked under seven hours for it a few years back but had a very similar experience to Hann.. I felt like the bloody Pied Piper coming along the A66! I reckon I rode 90% of it solo.
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

I did but by that time I was very much out of it... and wasn't sure if you were the same people I had seen at Kirkstone or not

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    Did you see us again, just below Wrynose Summit? We left by 3.15pm as the kids were getting too cold. Apart from the gale blowing up there, it is a marvellous event to support and quite emotional seeing the riders getting to Wrynose. You were all very impressive; riding, pushing, swearing or tipping over sideways with cramp, I thought you were all brilliant.

I sort of know what wharfeego means: as a sportive, the Fred Whitton is not a race. In fact, more like a v.long time trial.
    Nothing to stop people helping eachother out or riding as a group though.
    But sportive organisers have to discourage 'a race approach' to their events as the organisation, marshalling etc is not geared up for that.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 16-05-2012 at 09:57 AM.

I know, but seeing the top ladies being dragged around by a team of male pacers made me feel really sorry for myself... Had I had pacers to hide behind into that horrid headwind and making me expend about 20% less energy, I would have been a LOT faster too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I sort of know what wharfeego means: as a sportive, the Fred Whitton is not a race. In fact, more like a v.long time trial.
    Nothing to stop people helping eachother out or riding as a group though.
    But sportive organisers have to discourage 'a race approach' to their events as the organisation, marshalling etc is not geared up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    I know, but seeing the top ladies being dragged around by a team of male pacers made me feel really sorry for myself... Had I had pacers to hide behind into that horrid headwind and making me expend about 20% less energy, I would have been a LOT faster too!!!
    Nonsense! You just need a better bike....

No, I don't need a better bike, in fact, the bike was bloody brilliant!!! Qoroz cross bike adapted for road use... plenty of gears, light, responsive, it flew over those hills!

I did see Chips Chippendale riding it on a converted Ti 29er though, with dropped bars! :w00t: needless to say, I overtook him and was quicker than him

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Nonsense! You just need a better bike....

If once wasn't enough for you, the bike leg of the new Wasdale Half Ironman race goes over Hardknott and Wrynose in both directions...

http://www.wasdale-tri.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    If once wasn't enough for you, the bike leg of the new Wasdale Half Ironman race goes over Hardknott and Wrynose in both directions...

http://www.wasdale-tri.co.uk/
    And, what is more you can only use one leg.
    'Take the Long Way Home'

I now know of about the best part of a dozen fellrunners who want to form a sub-7 gang for next year. I think we might have ourselves a team!
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.