Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so im a noob

so im a noob

says it all, im new to this
    im ben, 17 years old and live down south near exeter, woodbury common and dartmoor are the nearest places i know of that you might call a place with fells to bugger around on.
    as i said im completely new to this so feel free to throw ideas, not too hard, at me i.e. training, kit or races (or links to the aforementioned)
    anyone else live nearish to me?
    Last edited by benmatthews90; 10-02-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Re: so im a noob

Hi Ben,

My advice would be to move oop North - it may be grim but we've got some great places to run.

Only (half) joking I'm sure there's some good running in your patch - my real advice would be to join your local club - they'll know where to go.

Welcome on board - have fun!!

Banned

Two words:

Brecon Beacons.

Get there somehow and by any means possible for a race or two.

Yes I know it ended up more than two words.

Master and MR

pass your test
    be prepared to spend loads on petrol

good luck though , if you put in as much effort as i do you will be rewarded with so much

Quote Originally Posted by benmatthews90 View Post
    says it all, im new to this
    im ben, 17 years old and live down south near exeter, woodbury common and dartmoor are the nearest places i know of that you might call a place with fells to bugger around on.
    as i said im completely new to this so feel free to throw ideas, not too hard, at me i.e. training, kit or races (or links to the aforementioned)
    anyone else live nearish to me?
    hmmm kit! well of course you need the basics gps mobile phone etc

ha cheers, yeah im looking at gettimg my provisional soon so i can start learning to drive, once iv got that ill be free to do what i want, good thing is my girlfriend almost (beaten by literally a few seconds) got into the england running team so shell happily come with me, and then call me a pussy when i dont make it up the big hills

in relation to moving up north, im looking at universities in scotland, especially edinburgh (for evolutionary biology), so im looking foward to plenty of time in the hills.

iv already looked into local clubs, my nearest seem to be either honiton or sidmouth

thanks guys, keep it coming

Axe Valley Runners in Seaton/Beer have a few off-roaders including a former regular forumite 'Mud'.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk & Goode View Post
    Hi Ben,

my real advice would be to join your local club - they'll know where to go.
    In reality, I think that few South West running clubs would have much idea about fell running and where to go to do it. By all means hook up with someone like Mud but othewise I aint sure that joining a club is such a straightforward answer here.

Do what I do - train with a primarily 'road' (wash my mouth out) running club but run in the hills on your own or with whoever you can drag along at weekends. I find running with a club brings the competitor out in me, making me run harder and faster, whilst running in the hills is, well just very, very enjoyable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Do what I do - train with a primarily 'road' (wash my mouth out) running club but run in the hills on your own or with whoever you can drag along at weekends. I find running with a club brings the competitor out in me, making me run harder and faster, whilst running in the hills is, well just very, very enjoyable.
    Fair point Stolly.