Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routes from Buttermere?

Routes from Buttermere?

I'm planning a long weekend in the YHA at Buttermere. Does anyone have any favourite routes of up to about 3 hours in the area?

thanks!

Graeme

Re: Routes from Buttermere?

There's always the buttermere round, Up on to Red Pike, along the High STile Ridge, across to Haystacks, Honister Pass, up Dale Head then along the ridge to Robinson and then back to Buttermere, via High Snockrigg.

Try the route for the Buttermere Sailbeck fell race.

9.5 miles, 4650ft

Route: Start - Bridge Inn Buttermere; Checkpoints in order; Ard Crags 207198, Quarry Rowling End 228202, Causey Pike 218209, Crag Hill193203, Whiteless Pike 180190, Finish 174172.

Routes from Buttermere are featured in this months Trail mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    There's always the buttermere round, Up on to Red Pike, along the High STile Ridge, across to Haystacks, Honister Pass, up Dale Head then along the ridge to Robinson and then back to Buttermere, via High Snockrigg.
    That might be a bit longer than three hours but you could cut it short at Scarth gap or go over Haystacks and come back via Fleetwith Pike.

Also Starting from Langthwaite Green go up Grasmoor down to Coledale Hause then Hopegill Head and Whiteside, thats round about two hours taking it easy.
    Bill

If the weather's really grotty a good low level route is along the path NW of Sail Beck (between Crag Hill and Ard Crags), down into Newlands, north to Braithwaite along the road, up Coledale, over Coledale Hause and then down along Gasgale Gill to the Buttermere road. You can then either cut back along the road to Buttermere or go round the western side of Crummock (where you can visit the awesome Scale Force). That'd be at least a couple of hours.

I worked at Buttermere YHA the summer before last and always enjoyed the running on the grasmoor group most - Sailbeck route with a bit of a detour to the top of grasmoor would be my first pick. If not then going up robinson then along to dale head, maiden moor, down into little town then over ard crags is a nice route. The high stile ridge is less runnable than either of these but arguably has better views.

Lastly, the beer in the Fish Inn used to be better than the bridge hotel, even if the interior isn't as homely. Have a good time - I'm making myself jealous of you as I'm stuck in Cambridge doing laps of fields to avoid the dreaded shin splints.

Banned

As has been indicated already, the Buttermere Sailbeck route. It is just perfect for anyone who has three hours to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Trimm Trab View Post
    If the weather's really grotty a good low level route is along the path NW of Sail Beck (between Crag Hill and Ard Crags), down into Newlands, north to Braithwaite along the road, up Coledale, over Coledale Hause and then down along Gasgale Gill to the Buttermere road. You can then either cut back along the road to Buttermere or go round the western side of Crummock (where you can visit the awesome Scale Force). That'd be at least a couple of hours.
    I badly memorised a running route and missed the path up from Scale Force aiming to run a loop back over Red Pike. Instead I disappeared into the wilderness I guess in the loose direction of Ennerdale before cutting my losses and going totally cross country across Gale Fell. I did pick my route up but must have added half a dozen miles to the route envisaged. Great views from the top but ended with a totally crap descent down a long man made steeply stepped path.

This is great - thanks fellas.

Just need this amazing weather to hold on for a few more days...!