Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headtorch run

Headtorch run

A few off us are having an evening run on Monday 18th feb. at 6.00pm over Embsay moor if anybody is intrested (steady away). Meeting at the public car park next to the Elm Tree pub (of course). Run should last about 60-70mins depending on abilities present.

Fellhound

Re: Headtorch run

Tempting, Grifter, cos I've never been on Embsay moor. Bit tight for me to get over to the Ukrainian side of the country by six though....

I'm interested too Grifter; I'll turn up pot luck if I can, work diary permitting.

Great night for a night run with nearly a full moon (not Sticks posterior by the way) 6 of us turned up for about a 70min run which in places you didnt need the headtorch on it was that clear but blumming cold.

Thumbs up Re: Headtorch run

well it wouldn't exactly be a great night for a day run!

that cold air blowing over ones frontispiece.......littlepinkshrimptime.com!

hey Jack?........don't get in a flapp!

grand as owt!

sithee in Skippy 2mora neet.

2ellinahandbasket.

I don't know if this has been threaded before, and I am in no way trying to tell people how to run (before I get bricked!) but why use a head torch? I keep one in my bum bag for emergencies but have only used it rummaging around in the loft so far.

Living out of town I take the dog on the hills regularly and have never used the head torch yet. Now I admit it is on routes I know and doing a new route would be a bit scary and I would want to use a torch to check the map, but except for the darkest, wettest, most storm cloud covered nights, once in the hills I can see any obstructions.

Maybe its an advantage of being a slow runner, and maybe it trains quick feet so stumbles don't become falls, but I think running with someone wearing a torch is blinding and you miss so much. Having said that I do put a small light on the back of the dogs sports bra if I am going into sheep territory so I can track her, she is safe with animals but can react if she gets a shock.

So, do you head torch or run grey?

Jason
    Is it meant to be this hard?

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by Trossachs! View Post
    I am in no way trying to tell people how to run (before I get bricked!) but why use a head torch?
    I think you are just giving away the fact that your night runs are relatively undemanding ! (my turn to get bricked)

If you were doing 40+ bat runs through the winter, in all types of conditions, you'd soon become head-torch obsessed like the rest of us On Ingleborough last Thursday it was so murky you almost had to crawl on hands and knees to see the path and the summit shelter didn't appear until we almost ran into it!

Yes, there's an odd moonlit night that allows the magic of torchless running but they are the exception rather than the rule in this country I'd suggest.

I agree with Trundler, I wouldnt like to do some of the routes i do without a headtorch, it just gives confidence to run that bit quicker.

I would have to agree that my off road runs in the dark aren't fast, if thats what you mean by undemanding, they tend to be for strength and balance rather than speed which is mostly on the roads in the dark or hills in the day, but are all the more enjoyable for that.

But doesn't headtorch running get you into focusing on that little bright tunnel and you miss out on everything else?

Jason
    Is it meant to be this hard?

What Trossachs hasn't mentioned is that he actually wears these instead