Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fell Running Books

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar

Re: Fell Running Books

Well, Wild Trails to Far Horizons is being reprinted (http://www.hayloft.eu/wildtrails.html), so maybe Studmarks will be some day...

Quote Originally Posted by Don't fear the sweeper View Post
    Well, Wild Trails to Far Horizons is being reprinted (http://www.hayloft.eu/wildtrails.html), so maybe Studmarks will be some day...
    Have just ordered this from Amazon... they have 20% off if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Trails-...6636394&sr=8-1
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Not strictly fell-running but 'Flanagan's Run' by Tom McNab is a must read yarn!

http://www.allreaders.com/Topics/info_13425.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Don't fear the sweeper View Post
    Had an original hard back of Wild Trails............but lent it to someone, can't remember who, and never saw it again.

So will be nice to have the reprint and read it once more.

Think I might auction my Studmarks on the Forum; after I'm gone of course, and the wife too.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Will there ever be a 'SMOTS 2; 1983-present day'? Now that would be a labour of love for someone...........

Quote Originally Posted by Wily Vet View Post
    Will there ever be a 'SMOTS 2; 1983-present day'? Now that would be a labour of love for someone...........
    Where's Mr Breeze when you need him................

so what's the format of 'Studmarks ...' - is it a history, or a personal story? Or a bit of both like FitC?

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Where's Mr Breeze when you need him................
    Just about to go onto the moor in the horrid clag I see from my window.

However, I was only talking to Bill about SMOTS last Saturday.

Mark 2: for a lot of reasons IMHO there will never be...the task is herculean.

As for a reprint: SMOTS effectively finishes in 1981 (there are some results but no text for 82 & 83). It is 582 pages. The number of people prepared to buy a book almost thirty years old is limited and ostensibly 1800 homes already have it. Where is the benefit to a publisher? Bill knows how much copies go for now but he really isn't interested.

If anyone really wants a copy you can always buy one second hand but it is a supply/demand market. Several people have paid £130 and if you want it enough it is worth it. (How much can you spend on a night out which is ephemeral?) And a copy is probably a good investment.

It is interesting to reflect where the 1800 copies actually are because a lot must have been discarded over the years by exasperated fell-widows.

But if you want another copy Morgan, I can find you one! But it will not be cheap.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 28-10-2009 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Just about to go onto the moor in the horrid clag I see from my window.

However, I was only talking to Bill about SMOTS last Saturday.

Mark 2: for a lot of reasons IMHO there will never be...the task is herculean.

As for a reprint: SMOTS effectively finishes in 1981 (there are some results but no text for 82 & 83). It is 582 pages. The number of people prepared to buy a book almost thirty years old is limited and ostensibly 1800 homes already have it. Where is the benefit to a publisher? Bill knows how much copies go for now but he really isn't interested. Why would he be bothered about something he wrote in the late 1970's?

If anyone really wants a copy you can always buy one second hand but it is a supply/demand market. Several people have paid £130 and if you want it enough it is worth it. (How much can you spend on a night out which is ephemeral?) And a copy is probably a good investment.

It is interesting to reflect where the 1800 copies actually are because a lot must have been discarded over the years by exasperated fell-widows.

But if you want another copy Morgan, I can find you one! But it will not be cheap.
    All very true Graham.

Bill gave the "profit" from SMOTS away to various bodies, one of which you will be horrified to hear or recall was the Bob Graham Club.

We have always treated that payment as a loan and it was given on the basis that if Bill went down the road of Vol 2 or a re-print, we would let him have it back if he needed it.

We weren't expecting him to be in touch.

And what on earth would I do with a second copy?

Enjoy the clag.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    It is interesting to reflect where the 1800 copies actually are...
    I have had at least ten copies of SMOTS over the years. All (except one) have been passed onto fellow book collectors.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker