Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gritstone Any Time Challenge

Gritstone Any Time Challenge

Gritstone Tryal Anytime Challenge

A fellow Moorlander has devised a new challenge based on the Gritstone Tryal formula.
    Starting and finishing at the Cat & Fiddle pub, visit 5 trig points,navigating your own route between them using open access land and public rights of way.

Start Cat & Fiddle SK001719
    Trig 1 Shutlingsloe 976696
    Trig 2 Roaches 001639
    Trig 3 Axe Edge 035706
    Trig 4 Burbage Edge 029732
    Trig 5 Shining Tor 994738
    Finish Cat & Fiddle 001 719

The route is aprox. 20 miles with 3500' ascent. Makes it a good training day for mountain marathons, Bob Graham attempts, long fell races etc. Or just a nice day out with a few beers afterwards.
    So far there have been 10 completions. Walked in 7hrs 29 mins. Jog/walk pace in 4hrs 55mins. Record currently stands at 3hrs 58mins. Its there to be beaten.

Most attempts have been anti clock, but Den n I went clockwise in very wild weather and took 5hrs. ( Ladies record )

Please report any attempts on here or SMAC forum

Re: Gritstone Any Time Challen

Hi.
    Gave this a blast last Saturday.

Parked at the car park just near the Cragg Inn. My route (anticlockwise) was as follows.

1) Trig 1 - Shutlingsloe
    2) Cumberland Brook
    3) Trig 2 - Shining Tor
    4) Deep Clough
    5) Berry Clough
    6) Trig 3 - Burbage Edge
    7) Trig 4 - Axe Edge.
    8) Turn Edge
    9) Trig 5 - The Roaches
    10) Gradbach YHA
    11) Cragg Inn.

Took me 5 hrs 32 mins.
    The section between Turn Edge and The Roaches is tricky. I went up the road towards Moss End Farm instead of going in and out of Gradbach twice. Don’t think this helped and I feel I lost time here.

It’s a great route.
    I'll be doing it again. Really want to do it under 5hrs.

Tim

Sounds like a good route. Anyone know what the parking position is at/around the Cat & Fiddle?
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Might have a go at this next week some time. Anyone know whether the A53 is out of bounds heading north for Axe Edge from Axe Edge End? Or has everyone been following the ridge? Don't suppose it matters much: it's only half a mile of A53 anyway. I'll take the FP north from Flash to Axe Edge End.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

there's a layby opposite the C&F that I used - not very big, but as long as you get there early enough you should bag a spot - not sure what the deal is with the C&F car-park itself though...

don't see any reason why you could'nt use the A53 if you wanted - I used shedloads of minor roads between Roaches and Axe Ede End!
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    there's a layby opposite the C&F that I used - not very big, but as long as you get there early enough you should bag a spot - not sure what the deal is with the C&F car-park itself though...

don't see any reason why you could'nt use the A53 if you wanted - I used shedloads of minor roads between Roaches and Axe Ede End!
    Thanks Daz!
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

over 2 years since I 1st posted this one. There have been at least 50 completions of the round and Spyke has the record at 3hrs 20mins.

Den and I were up there today and whilst we didnt do a full round, we had a great day out in fantastic weather. If you like your wild life, we spotted -hares , rabbits , Squirrels, long eared owl, buzzards, Kestrels, curlews, snipe,dippers, grey wagtails and many more and all these whilst running. Its a fantastic area for a day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Might have a go at this next week some time. Anyone know whether the A53 is out of bounds heading north for Axe Edge from Axe Edge End? Or has everyone been following the ridge? Don't suppose it matters much: it's only half a mile of A53 anyway. I'll take the FP north from Flash to Axe Edge End.
    Hi.
    I think the A53 would be a little out of your way.
    I've been down the Axe Edge ridge to Flash and aslo picked up the Dane Valley Way back to Gradbach.
    Still not sure which is the best route.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ruck View Post
    Hi.
    I think the A53 would be a little out of your way.
    I've been down the Axe Edge ridge to Flash and aslo picked up the Dane Valley Way back to Gradbach.
    Still not sure which is the best route.

Tim
    Thanks Tim. I'm planning a go at this tomorrow, as a last long run before the Saunders. I've just been measuring on MemoryMap, & the road route picking up the A53 at Flash is about a mile shorter than going via Gradbach, & saves about 100m of climbing. I'm thinking of going over the Oliver Hill path north from Flash although it'll be slower than the A53, just to avoid the main road. Is there a runnable path along the southern part of the Axe Edge ridge, from Axe Edge End to the Dane Head minor road? I was thinking of taking the A53 just for this bit in case I'd be flogging through heather or bracken without a path.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Thanks Tim. I'm planning a go at this tomorrow, as a last long run before the Saunders. I've just been measuring on MemoryMap, & the road route picking up the A53 at Flash is about a mile shorter than going via Gradbach, & saves about 100m of climbing. I'm thinking of going over the Oliver Hill path north from Flash although it'll be slower than the A53, just to avoid the main road. Is there a runnable path along the southern part of the Axe Edge ridge, from Axe Edge End to the Dane Head minor road? I was thinking of taking the A53 just for this bit in case I'd be flogging through heather or bracken without a path.
    Hello.
    The southern part of the Axe Edge ridge is great to run along. There is a narrow path which runs over it.
    I feel that the southern section is easier to run over than the area around the trig point.
    Hope you have a great day out.

Tim