Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Gritstone Any Time Challenge

Reviving this old thread. 1st attempt today. 3h22. A/C from C+F.

It looks like this challange has seen some interest of late, and looks like Gaz is gunning for top place. Bryan Lomas has been the holder for quite some years now, but has recently been toppled by a Roger Taylor in a new time of 3:11:52.
    I have started to keep a tally of all finishers times, albeit mostly historic times taken off this thread. If anyone would like adding to the list, please let me know inclusing age cat and club. It would be great to see this challenge get some more attention, especially now that the Cat and Fiddle pub is now back in business for some post running carbs!

Had a crack at this yesterday, underestimated the conditions, d'oh!
    Managed to get round c-cw, start/finish at the Cat and Fiddle 3 hr 40 min.

I was out and about on the route yesterday and saw quite a few people trotting along looking to be doing the same, in particular a chap taking the line off Axe Edge trig along with his collie dog. Was anyone out and about over the weekend, both weather and ground conditions were pretty bob on for it?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    There is a report on FB that Tom Fellbaum has done this in 2:30:33, with Nathanael Brooker achieving 2:44:47 on the same day. This seems extraordinary: taking 15% of the previous record of 2:58:07, quite apart from it being a remarkable time for the distance and terrain. Tom did it anticlockwise, Nathanael clockwise. [So Noel, if you saw a bloke coming off Shutlingsloe with a hang-glider, that was Tom; whereas Nathanael was the guy running the whole way up the east face of that hill.]

The FB report refers to them finding the "most efficient routes", but of course doesn't give any details of routes. Does anyone here know any more?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

He's on Strava so you can see his trace: https://www.strava.com/activities/4977491739 (or maybe you need to be a follower?)

An amazing time. For those into your Strava segments, He got nine top 10s on that route (including a KOM). Which is pretty impressive as many of these will have been set by people not running 30km!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    He's on Strava so you can see his trace: https://www.strava.com/activities/4977491739 (or maybe you need to be a follower?)
    Thank you.

I've been musing about having a toddle round this myself (although I doubt whether anything will come of it, and it would be a walk rather than a run), and it's interesting to compare Tom's route with what I was thinking about. I'm with Tom between Shining Tor and Shutlingsloe (direct south from ST summit, and along the path through the upper part of Macc Forest, rather than the boring route along Cumberland Brook). I would also be with him on the NE flank of the Roaches, straight down to the Black Brook valley. But I definitely wouldn't do that dreadful road run from there to Axe Edge. And I would prefer clockwise, starting at Goldsitch to go up the aforementioned heathery flank of the Roaches at the start, then up the steep side of Shutlingsloe.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Thank you.

I've been musing about having a toddle round this myself (although I doubt whether anything will come of it, and it would be a walk rather than a run), and it's interesting to compare Tom's route with what I was thinking about. I'm with Tom between Shining Tor and Shutlingsloe (direct south from ST summit, and along the path through the upper part of Macc Forest, rather than the boring route along Cumberland Brook). I would also be with him on the NE flank of the Roaches, straight down to the Black Brook valley. But I definitely wouldn't do that dreadful road run from there to Axe Edge. And I would prefer clockwise, starting at Goldsitch to go up the aforementioned heathery flank of the Roaches at the start, then up the steep side of Shutlingsloe.
    I guess few people think of that route from Shining to Shutlingloe as the majority (including myself)seem to start from the C&F.