Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gritstone Any Time Challenge

Re: Gritstone Any Time Challen

I took the path to the west of the southern "blob" of Axe Edge, leading to the Dane Head area
    I might've considered going up over the blob, but there's no PROW marked on the map, I couldn't see an obvious way onto the fell through the houses at Axe Edge End, and also it seemed like unnecessary extra ascent...

oh, and the northern blob is more tussocky rather than heather or bracken
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Well I got round in 4:25, starting at 8 this morning. It was still too hot for comfort even at 8 but apart from that the weather was great (still is). I avoided the main road around Flash, taking Daz's suggested route. An excellent morning out, although I was a bit disappointed with my time. I'd like to think I'd have taken a few minutes off if it hadn't been so hot & if I hadn't done a load of hill climb training on Saturday. It was hard work getting from the Roaches trig point to the road for Flash - I took a beeline but the heather was up to my waist at times.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Having used the Gritstone any time challenge as a training route for the last 3 years I thought it was about time I had a crack at setting a decent time. Ive read with interest the various route choices that have been made over the years. Having spent lots of time out on the route and recced it plenty, I had no excuse for navigational cock ups. Weather conditions were warm and sunny, but a light breeze kept the temprature down. Going underfoot was very dry and I only had a few areas of high heather to slow me down a little. I also had the advantage of support from Den who is injured, supplying food and drink, saving me from having to carry. I was really pleased with my time of 3hours 24 minutes...not bad for an old Git.

Here's the route again, for those interested in having a crack.

Gritstone Tryal Anytime Challenge

Starting and finishing at the Cat & Fiddle pub, visit 5 trig points,navigating your own route between them using open access land and public rights of way.

Start Cat & Fiddle SK001719
    Trig 1 Shutlingsloe 976696
    Trig 2 Roaches 001639
    Trig 3 Axe Edge 035706
    Trig 4 Burbage Edge 029732
    Trig 5 Shining Tor 994738
    Finish Cat & Fiddle 001 719

The route is aprox. 20 miles with 3500' ascent. Makes it a good training day for mountain marathons, Bob Graham attempts, long fell races etc. Or just a nice day out with a few beers afterwards.
    Last edited by Moorlander; 12-07-2010 at 06:06 PM.

I've been inspired to have a crack at this in a couple of weeks as a last blast before heading off for my summer holidays. Looking through the previous posts and at the map, the route choice is fairly straight forward except for the leg from the Roaches to Axe Edge. Is there any concensus on best route?

Quote Originally Posted by Homeward Bound View Post
    I've been inspired to have a crack at this in a couple of weeks as a last blast before heading off for my summer holidays. Looking through the previous posts and at the map, the route choice is fairly straight forward except for the leg from the Roaches to Axe Edge. Is there any concensus on best route?

Having tried plenty of routes I reckon this is as good as any. From the Roaches Trig, forget the direct line down through the heather, go back down the flags to Roach end then follow the foot path (track) towards Goldstitch. As you climb out of the valley cut across to the path leading to the road that leads to flash. follow the road to Flash about 2 miles on road. Take diagonal path across field as you approach the village ( cuts corner). Then take the path leading across towards axe edge ridge. Follow the ridge path parallel to the main road, this isnt shown as a path on the map, but is a good clear trod. then drop down valley cross the road and pick up the path that leads directly to the Axe Edge Trig point.

Moorlander, thanks for the route advice.

Cheers for the advice moorlander - I'm looking at giving this a go in a week or 2 and was thinking of taking a more westerly route on that leg, going through Green Gutter Head, Knotbury and Orchard Common, coming out onto the road below Axe Edge trig at SK029702 (so about 400m further West on the road than your route). Have you tried this route? It's a bit more convoluted, but pretty much dispenses with road other than a 1/2 mile section at Hawks Nest. (near SK016674).

Ideally I'd not have much road (makes my hips hurt) but your route looks less tricky to navigate....

Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
    Cheers for the advice moorlander - I'm looking at giving this a go in a week or 2 and was thinking of taking a more westerly route on that leg, going through Green Gutter Head, Knotbury and Orchard Common, coming out onto the road below Axe Edge trig at SK029702 (so about 400m further West on the road than your route). Have you tried this route? It's a bit more convoluted, but pretty much dispenses with road other than a 1/2 mile section at Hawks Nest. (near SK016674).

Ideally I'd not have much road (makes my hips hurt) but your route looks less tricky to navigate....

Hi Paul.
    I was planning a rerun of this soon.
    When do you think you'll be doing it. Would you care for some company?

Tim

No particular plan for time really - I finish teaching for the summer this afternooon so will be doing it one day when the weather looks nice! If I plan it more than a couple of hours in advance I'll put a note on here as company would be good.

The road option being the most direct is the one to take if you are after a time. I havent tried the route you described but I know from "Rodders" who has, that the paths get very over grown and you pass through some very dodgy looking farms. ( Not quite sure what he meant by that).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post