Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gritstone Any Time Challenge

Re: Gritstone Any Time Challen

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ruck View Post
    Hi Paul.
    I was planning a rerun of this soon.
    When do you think you'll be doing it. Would you care for some company?

Tim
    Hi, Is that climbing Tim from SC Climbing club?

Im interested in having a go at this, make a change to doing the same route or make up as i go along!
    Give me a txt on 07854458103
    Cheers.
    Mobile: 07854458103 Email: [email protected]

I've done this route a couple of times now, in both directions, start and finish at C&F. Park opposite pub or in rough layby W down rd 100yds.
    My approach has been to avoid road as much as poss. On the anti route, as an alternative to Cumberland Brook, I dropped straight down across open access moor to join newish ftpth down Chest Hollow past Brough's Place and up (can't avoid) steep rd and then left on track to Shutlingsloe. Drop down to Wildboarclough, over via Tagsclough, Gradbach up to Roaches, straight down to Goldsitch (rough), join lane and then ftpath left thro Green Gutter, then the Wash to hit lane. Footpath opposite and then run parallel to lane for a bit, then left over hill to hit lane near Far Brook. Up road (climb) to take left ftpath past some houses before Flash village. Over Oliver Hill to Oxenstitch. Rt on lane then lft to Hilltop.Take track/path left and follow until hit Dane Head lane. Cross to pick up clear trod to Axe Edge. Down over rough moor to A537. Cross rd to grass verge and pick up path on right which takes you to Burbage. Backtrack to Berry Clough. Down, cross Goyt Valley rd. pick up path opp. thro trees via Deep Clough upto Shining Tor. Stagger back down to car and a welcome drink. Did this in winter in around 5hr 20min. Winter is a good time to do this route if it's solitude your're after - met nobody on the hill and hardly anyone on the road bits. Magic!

novice

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge the Elf View Post
    I've done this route a couple of times now, in both directions, start and finish at C&F. Park opposite pub or in rough layby W down rd 100yds.
    My approach has been to avoid road as much as poss. On the anti route, as an alternative to Cumberland Brook, I dropped straight down across open access moor to join newish ftpth down Chest Hollow past Brough's Place and up (can't avoid) steep rd and then left on track to Shutlingsloe. Drop down to Wildboarclough, over via Tagsclough, Gradbach up to Roaches, straight down to Goldsitch (rough), join lane and then ftpath left thro Green Gutter, then the Wash to hit lane. Footpath opposite and then run parallel to lane for a bit, then left over hill to hit lane near Far Brook. Up road (climb) to take left ftpath past some houses before Flash village. Over Oliver Hill to Oxenstitch. Rt on lane then lft to Hilltop.Take track/path left and follow until hit Dane Head lane. Cross to pick up clear trod to Axe Edge. Down over rough moor to A537. Cross rd to grass verge and pick up path on right which takes you to Burbage. Backtrack to Berry Clough. Down, cross Goyt Valley rd. pick up path opp. thro trees via Deep Clough upto Shining Tor. Stagger back down to car and a welcome drink. Did this in winter in around 5hr 20min. Winter is a good time to do this route if it's solitude your're after - met nobody on the hill and hardly anyone on the road bits. Magic!

Is there anywhere to park on Dane Head Lane? Going to try this again next week (last time gave up as way too hot) and fancy getting Axe Edge and goyt vallley ones done first

My tatic three weeks ago was to get the road section out of the way first. I parked ( plenty of space) where the bridal track joins the road above Goldstitch ( Grid ref 008 - 650)

Axe Edge - Then Burbage Edge, shining tor, Shutlinslow and finally Roaches. Use the track back to Goldstich rather than direct line across the heather.

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Is there anywhere to park on Dane Head Lane? Going to try this again next week (last time gave up as way too hot) and fancy getting Axe Edge and goyt vallley ones done first

Just back from a completion. 4:51. I am happy with that. I decided to give it a try clockwise, after fluffing the nav anti-clockwise on tuesday.

Shining Tor 16 mins
    Burbage 56 mins
    Axe Edge 1:28
    Roaches 2:45
    Shuttligsloe 4:01
    Cat & Fiddle 4:51

I had run out of steam after Shuttlingsloe and was glad to meet Swoop on the Cumberland path, it perked me up a bit.
    On the down side I lost a buff in the C&F layby!

Great route, glad to have done it.

Well done Rodders, nice to meet you!

novice

Did this yesterday anticlock in 4hrs 50.
    Hard work heading upto shining tor at the end, hot and lots of nasty midges

novice

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Did this yesterday anticlock in 4hrs 50.
    Hard work heading upto shining tor at the end, hot and lots of nasty midges
    Is it safe to drink the water in the streams in the Goyt Valley?

Quote Originally Posted by John Rowlands View Post
    Hi, Is that climbing Tim from SC Climbing club?

Im interested in having a go at this, make a change to doing the same route or make up as i go along!
    Give me a txt on 07854458103
    Cheers.
    Hi John.
    Just seen your note.
    I'm not from SC Climbing club.
    Are you still going ot give this a go?

Tim
    Last edited by Truck; 04-08-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Ok he he. Yeah would like to, im heading up to Wasdale on Fri for 2 weeks so will have to be before then if I do! Im leaving Edale on 4th Sept to do the Pennine Way, so wont be running for a little while after that I think.
    Mobile: 07854458103 Email: [email protected]