Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: trail running in the lakes.

Re: trail running in the lakes

Hi Canadian,

If you're after a longer route, one of my favourites is from a village called Threlkeld (about 15 miles north of Ambleside), then south along the Helvellyn ridge to the summit of Fairfield, then down the eastern half of the Fairfield horseshoe that Stolly described above (and so ending in Ambleside). This is one for a clear day - once you've climbed Clough Head at the northern end of the ridge you don't get below 500m until the very end; if it's cloudy navigation can be tricky. It also passes over the summit of Helvellyn, which can fairly be described as a 'classic peak' - not as impressive as some of the hills in Canada, but it's about as high as they get in England!

I'm sure you'll end up doing this anyway, but if you're in Ambleside you've got to go up the Great Langdale valley and explore the fells there - Crinkle Crags and Bowfell is as fine a ridge walk as you'll find in Britain.

Have fun - you're in for a treat!

You're right about the outdoor shops in Ambleside - it's stuffed full of them and you'll find more maps than you can shake a stick at.
    If you want to preview the area, try http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/
    You can even print out 1:25000 maps for free (though admittedly only in 1km squares which you have to patch together.... it's a bit of a cheapskate option, but quite satisfying. Think topographical quilting.)

Check out the Lakeland Trails website for route descriptions of their other events - Hawkshead, Garburn and Coniston are all readily accessible from Ambleside. You can watch slideshows of the routes and decide if they're what you're looking for. These trail routes aren't as hardcore as the fell races, but they still go through some beautiful countryside, and though lower level do feature climbs and pose some challenge.

The booklet 'Walks around Ambleside' has some good routes in it - which obviously you could run. Available online at lots of places including Lakesrunner.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    I would reccomend visiting the Golden Rule for beer in Ambleside, nowhere else, don't expect any food there though. It's a proper pub

Just to clarify - go to Golden Rule for atmosphere.

But, the beer is sh*te.

It regularly comes top of the worst beer in Ambleside polls. Almost anywhere else is better...

Drunken Duck (bit out of Ambleside, but cheap beer, NOT cheap food)
    Britannia Inn (Elterwater)
    Badger Bar (good atmos., with real badgers)
    Queens Hotel (centre of Ambleside, no atmos., but good beer)
    Waterwheel at Ings.
    Why walk when you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    Just to clarify - go to Golden Rule for atmosphere.

But, the beer is sh*te.

It regularly comes top of the worst beer in Ambleside polls. Almost anywhere else is better...

Drunken Duck (bit out of Ambleside, but cheap beer, NOT cheap food)
    Britannia Inn (Elterwater)
    Badger Bar (good atmos., with real badgers)
    Queens Hotel (centre of Ambleside, no atmos., but good beer)
    Waterwheel at Ings.
    Agree Ben about the beer in the Golden Rule. Used to be great before Hartleys was bought out.

Beer in the Queens very good. Also Eagle & Child and Hawkshead Brewery both in Staveley. Thirsty now......

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanadian View Post
    I might just wait until we are in Ambleside before getting the maps, it seems from the guide that there are several outdoors shops in town so that might be best. It also avoids mail costs!
    I like the BMC map of the lakes, gives you a good overview, also visit Lakes runner in Ambleside, a few of the staff are fellrunners and have a good selection of fellrunning gear
    Bill

Deejay, thanks for the train info, my wife was not happy to hear about the 3-3.5 hour trip from Manchester. It will certainly make for a long day.

Of course with all the great advice for pubs in the area I am sure we will be able to sooth our travel strained nerves with a nice pint before passing out from exhaustion.

Ah Dux de lux, thank you for your offer. I am sure my wife and I will take you up on a evening run with you club. I had actually found the Ambleside AC web site and was going to email the contact to find out about joining for a run or two. I am even more happy to learn that there are runners of all speeds, I can keep the back of the packers company .

Trimm Trab, here in the eastern part of Canada we do get some higher peaks, but they are mostly tree covered and the views are tough to get. I am looking forward to the sense of space you get on the open fells. All of the pictures we have seen make the area look fantastic. The trip is still ~6 months away but we are very excited right now and all of the route descriptions are not helping . We are making a list of all the suggestions and will try and hit as many as we can.

The nice thing is I suspect most of the destinations are within easy reach of a pub for a post run/hike/aquarium/cool arts and crafts house visit drink. I just hope the bus connections work as well as they claim.

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Thanks for the map info. I will see if I can't order it in the near future, plenty of time until September.

As for the Derwentwater trail race, alas, it is the week before we arrive. We are flying into Manchester on the 12th, and heading up to the lakes via bus or train (we have not figured out which is the best method yet). I am sure we will be jet lagged and my usual cure of drinking all night and having not one but two curry take outs would not go over will with my wife. If I remember correctly (and it is kind of fuzzy) I was sick as a dog the next day, but well over the jet lag .

But, since the Derwentwater race is all on trails, I am sure it will be relatively easy to run it on another day. Our goal is to get out and see the country side, it will be a combination of running (for me) and nature/bird watching (for my wife). Needless to say we are both looking forward to it.
    Hi

You can get a direct train from Manchester Airport to Oxenholme The Lake District station (which is just outside Kendal) and then get a connecting train to Windermere which is about 5 miles south of Ambleside.

Kendal Athletic Club also do club fell runs every Wednesday night in the Lake District, pretty similar to the Ambleside AC runs, which you would be most welcome to tag along on. Details of runs will be posted on the website in March.

The Three Shires race is definitely worth doing if you are around on the 20th (13 miles and 4,000 foot of accent, with finishing times ranging from just under 2 hours to just over 4 hours).

I had actually found the Ambleside AC web site and was going to email the contact to find out about joining for a run or two. I am even more happy to learn that there are runners of all speeds, I can keep the back of the packers company .
    Aye, some of the back of the pack can't even go sub-35 minutes for a 10k!

Useless fatties.

See you at a Club run. I'll be there; just look out for the "promising youngster". Talking of which, I fancy getting that printed on the back of me vest.
    Why walk when you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    Aye, some of the back of the pack can't even go sub-35 minutes for a 10k!

Useless fatties.
    To your question of "who ate all the pies?" well, that was me...

Is there any information on the net for the three shires race. The distance and elevation gain are more to my liking, not to mention the slow pokes at the end so that i have some company (and guidance) on the run.

I will have to create a different post for gear requirements for racing, I would hate to be banned from starting due to lack of kit.