Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pipe Dream

Re: Pipe Dream

Make that Gafrmynydd!!

Haha!! thats my english with a scotish/welsh accent written in text specially for you Ian :-)

I was expecting to see the results up quite quickly for this race, as they had someone on a laptop at the finish line. They must have been on the FRA forum instead of downloading the results!

Results are on the WFRA site and pics are on Pete douglas' site>

I once watched a video on the internet about a vertical 1km race somewhere in Europe. The race basically went straight up a dry ski slope and the runners pretty much collapsed over the line.

Today I experienced something similar but with the added spice of 5 miles of fell once at the top.
    Todays run following the pipes up the hillside is tough...the steps then following the pipes are bloody tough. I thought my legs were going to explode!

Once we'd reached the fell my legs didn't wanna know and thankfully everybody around me were obviously feeling the same.

Eventually my legs woke up and dragged me across the moor. The descent down through the woods was brilliant...as was the race. I loved the unusualness of the vertical pipe start, followed by a typical fell race.

Many thanks to Craig and his helpers....cracking day out. The video from today should be interesting.

Yeah, good to see you there Daz. As normal, you have provided a more concise version of what I ended up writing.
    http://testedtodestruction.blogspot....ream-2015.html
    by heck. it was quite a race.

To be honest, welsh fell races remind me a bit of Moto GP. I remember when Lorenzo et al were out the front by miles, and were termed the "aliens" by the commentators, and the first "normals" home were generally a good long way back.

Looking at my times vs Math etc. crikey... I have NO idea how you get that fast. Thought I was going ok til Moel y ci 2 weeks ago and pipedream this week.
    Might have to re-think some training!

This years running was the first race in the 2023 WFRA Champs. I cannot add much to the route description that is in the two previous posts by Tindersticks and Zephr other than to say that today’s conditions were perfect and resulted in 8 age group records being broken.

On arrival in Dolgarrog my teammate Toby and I went for a warm up recce walk up the pipes and both of us wondered whether the 3 hr journey there had been a good idea. From the chat on the start line others among the 147 runners obviously felt the same. Off we went and by the time we hit the steps there was limited room for overtaking so it was a case of head down and get climbing. On the steeper section of around 50 degrees I found that using my hands on the steps above was the most comfortable method of progress. I was going a bit slower than I could have gone, being slightly held up by those in front, but on reaching the open hillside was able to overtake 8 runners in quick succession so having not being on full gas up the steps probably helped. Great running and views over the Carneddau before a fantastic descent only marred by a short section of tarmac.

The race was won by Tom Haynes of Eryri in 32.50, 26 seconds inside the record, and pushed all the way by Gavin Roberts of Calder Valley 6 seconds behind. My colleague Toby Gill was third in 34.53 taking 41 seconds off the U23 record. (he is 19)! The First Lady home was Katie Reynolds of Eryri in 40.03. I was 45th in 44.26 and 2nd M60, behind recently turned 60, Steve Toogood.

A lovely race with a quirky start. Tea and biscuits at the end plus a raffle type prize giving and all for a £6 entry fee (£4 WFRA members). Well organised by Craig Jones and any profit to the community centre.

The massive surfing centre that was built on the site of the old aluminium works, and revitalised Dolgarrog, has apparently shut down and already looks a bit run down. The brand new modern looking Hilton Hotel alongside it now houses asylum seekers. Very sad for the area.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I ran Dolgarrog Pipes in July 2019 in a time of 8:15m according to the strava segment (but getting my excuse in straight away I was waiting for a double hernia op at the time) - its a cracker of a climb though. The surf centre I know has been struggling but I think its opening for the season on 1st April so its still not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    The surf centre I know has been struggling but I think its opening for the season on 1st April so its still not dead yet
    That’s good to hear �
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog