Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Careers advice please!

Careers advice please!

Help!!!

I have applied for a job in a completely different area... a private boarding school teaching in the senior school.. I really want the opportunity to go and teach there. It is a complete change and challenge for me.

The thing is that there is another job within the junior school which I am also qualified to do. THis is a more senior post and I am more likely to get the other job. I really want to send my forms in for this too though just in case I am more suited to this job. It would be a great promotion.

Is this advisable? Is it ok or am I hedging my bets. What would you do?

Opinions please. It needs doing ASAP!

Cheerss ssssss

Re: Careers advice please!

Is there anything stopping you applying to both? I would think it totally unrealistic of an employer to assume you have not applied for any other jobs!

Apply for both of them, and see whether you get them. You never know, you may be in the enviable position of having to turn one of them down.

yeah why not both!
    The worst case is you get both jobs and have to make a decision!

If you only get one then there's no problem!

Good luck!

Master and MR

moo for what its worth i would take the promotion if it comes up
    yea by all means put in for the other job but if you and your family are settled and are happy why not just go higher up the ladder

cheers for all this. I probably wasn't very clear...the jobs are both at the same school- both separate buildings and names but still the same company... one in senior school one in prep school

still think it's ok? should I refer to my other application in the letter?

Ta x (opening a g and t can to contemplate this)

i see so they will know that you have applied for both jobs anyway as they are in the same place - I would be be upfront and go for it - and be totally honest with them - covering letter saying you are really really interested in working at thier school - the motto, the area , the girls etc and say you are confident you can do the junior school job - you have already had the opportunity to prove to yourself you can do this one in your current job - however you feel equipped to do the senoir post too and would enjoy the challenge of doing something new and you would be be pleased if they would consider you for this one too - they should take you on face value of the application form and your performance at interview in comparison to the others and they cant knock you for being deceitful. a credit to the school in fact!

I've been to interviews where the client has said "Actually, here is another role that would suit you much better than this one." Any manager worth their salt should be assessing your strengths and weaknesses (but you don't have any of those, right?) and assessing where you'd fit in best.

I'd say as long as you have a valid reason (that you can back up at interview) for applying for both posts, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not too au fait with the teaching profession, but would it be out of order to ring them first and ask? They're only human after all.

I can ask my Mum if you want - she's the headmistess of a primary school that tops their local league year after year.

Best of luck.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post
    iI would be be upfront and go for it - and be totally honest with them - covering letter saying you are really really interested in working at thier school - the motto, the area , the girls etc and say you are confident you can do the junior school job - you have already had the opportunity to prove to yourself you can do this one in your current job - however you feel equipped to do the senoir post too and would enjoy the challenge of doing something new and you would be be pleased if they would consider you for this one too...
    Brilliant idea.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    cheers for all this. I probably wasn't very clear...the jobs are both at the same school- both separate buildings and names but still the same company... one in senior school one in prep school

still think it's ok? should I refer to my other application in the letter?

Ta x (opening a g and t can to contemplate this)
    oh yeah - another tip - dont wear your pink tights to the interview!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post
    oh yeah - another tip - dont wear your pink tights to the interview!
    nor your stanadge t shirt either