Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Graham for a novice.

Bob Graham for a novice.

Hello, as you can guess from my user name I am definately not in the same category as the rest of the people using this forum. My problem is that I have developed an unhealthy obsession with doing the Bob Graham. I am 33 this year and I would class myself as reasonably fit (not Fell fit though!) My main problem, (I can work on the fell fitness) would be finding like minded people for support. So with the completely selfish reason of getting help back, if there is anybody needing any form of help for a Bob Graham then let me know.
    DISCLAIMER: I work shifts, and I have a wife and 2 Kids so my options for help are limited!!
    I do live in Northumberland though so its not as bad a journey for me as for others.
    Many thanks.

Re: Bob Graham for a novice.

These chaps can probably help and provide opportunities for recces & training

http://www.northumberlandfellrunners.co.uk/

Thanks for the link, I will look into it.

I will be spending lots of time in the Lakes this summer, on training trips with my partner who is making her attempt on the BG on June 6,7.
    We would be more than happy to help you out with support. When do you intend to make your attempt? If you want to help out on Ds attempt then you are more than welcome to come along although we have plenty of support.

Many thanks for the replies and the offers for help.
    If all goes well, ie fitness and recces I was thinking of late July/August 2008. If not it will be June 2009.
    If anyone thinks that this is not enough time to prepare then please let me know.
    Reference Ds attempt, I finish work on the Saturday morning (7th) at 06:45 so depending on what time she is finishing on that day then I could try and come along, even if its just to carry some stuff and to get some route knowledge in, and maybe to decide if I think I could do it. (as long as she is not going for a fast attempt, if she is I will bring a flask and wait by the road!)
    Thanks again.

Good luck to you fella. have you read Richard Askwith feet in the clouds ? Good for inspiration , also if u can get it Mike Cudahys Wild Trails to far horizons

Thanks for the encouragement Alf.
    Richard Askwiths book is the reason that I have my current affliction (I could relate to his "13st with weak ankles" quote on the back cover).
    I had a bit of a fright when searched for the wild trails book on amazon, £199!!
    I will have to have a trip to barter books in Alnwick to see if there is a one a bit more in my price range.
    Cheers again.

Hello notafellrunner, I too have an unhealthy almost insane idea of some day doing this I ran with saltwell harriers for a short time and a couple of them did it in fast times and that sort of planted the idea in my head, I think one of them did it in about 19 hours great stuff.
    Anyway I too want to recce the route and also get back on track with training I live in the Gateshead area and get to the lakes as much as possible and also the Cheviots on weekends.
    The NFR website has some writeups on of past challengers and make interesting reading, I dont know if they have training nights but a couple of weeks ago I read something about bgr training weekends.
    So if you fancy a couple of recce days or you need help on the day count me in.
    Joining NFR might be a good idea also as i am not the fastest runner I have only ran one fell race The Windy Gyle, it was hard but the most enjoyable day out in the hills ever. I think there was only 40 or 50 entered I came about, well I think almost last , so work to be done.
    If I do try it will be late 2008 or May/June 2009.
    I am entering the Fellsman in May to try and get a feel for the distance first, also The Allendale Challenge in April and try to run/walk it to see if I can get my time down to something reasonable.
    I think Billy Bland said "anyone can do it,if they train hard enough" .

"It's just a walk..."
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Quite a long one!!.