Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Holidays

Scottish Holidays

Hi All,

Me and the missus are planning to do our summer holidaying in the scottish highlands. We do not have a clue where to start really only been on a stag do to Edinburgh.

Anyone got any great idea's/experiences of where to go. We are hoping to have a bit of a hilly adventure with a bit of chill out by the beach also. I've heard there are some lovely beaches or is that cornwall

Im also hoping to tie it in with a race on the scottish calendar. We are going to be camping for 10 days and we need pubs

Any suggestions

Cheers
    Jamie

Re: Scottish Holidays

Oh Blimey, where to start!! To chill out on some beaches try Tiree. Ab Fab. But for exciting hills and beaches try Skye. In fact anywhere on the West coast will be fabulosa. Kintyre peninsula....Knockout. Arran....Awesome. Even just tooling around within 20 miles of Oban would be lovely.
    Very jealous.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Ah well now I can tell you, you have come to the right place. i am something of an expert on scotland having lived up here for a good few years and having toured far and wide both on foot and on the tandem with mrs C.
    Give me a rough idea of what constitutes a good holiday for you in terms of level of activity, eating out, accomodation, tollerance to midges etc and I'll try to help

Cheers clodhopper.

We are camping for 10 days, probably do 1 big drive day at the start from eng - scotland then ease down on the driving perhaps 2 hours per jurney at the most. and then dependant on how far we get perhaps 2 long days home.

We are on a mega budget really, hence the camping. Like I say planning on getting a race in perhaps a biggy. The missus likes moderate walking, so I'll prpbably like to get some early runs in the morning. Then have a moderate 4 hr walk in the afternoon. Ben Nevis is a must for us, Like I say she wont be up for 10 days hills running and walking so, Ill have to mix it up with beaches and perhaps a few town breaks.

We'll probably be eating out about every other night, but cooking by the tent other nights. We both love pubs but not fizz palaces, and she also wants to go to Glasgow. Its all about give and take apparantly.

Cheers for your advice

Oh I have been told to get a ferry ticket and island hop. Any adive on this would be good
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 29-01-2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Bad Grammar

Master

Jamie check out the following :-

www.capewrathchallenge.co.uk

It is a superb week of racing both on and off road with the highlight being the Marathon/ceilidh on the last saturday to end the week there is a full week of apre`s race events like wine tasting etc (well there was last year)

The campsite is on the cliff top above Sango sands beutifull white sands and surfing, pub about 60 paces from site.

It is agreat week and there are the Sutherland hills to go at as well.

I am going back for more this year, see you there maybe?
    The older I get the Faster I was

Very interesting john K, I like the way it said you can do any number of races and I quite like surfing also

Im gonna like this thread,

cheers

everyone

Master

Jamie if your missus does a bit of running mine is intending on having a crack at the 10k while i do the half mara, she also walks while i am doing the Marathon, but there is plenty of company for non participants.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    Cheers clodhopper.

We are camping for 10 days, probably do 1 big drive day at the start from eng - scotland then ease down on the driving perhaps 2 hours per jurney at the most. and then dependant on how far we get perhaps 2 long days home.

We are on a mega budget really, hence the camping. Like I say planning on getting a race in perhaps a biggy. The missus likes moderate walking, so I'll prpbably like to get some early runs in the morning. Then have a moderate 4 hr walk in the afternoon. Ben Nevis is a must for us, Like I say she wont be up for 10 days hills running and walking so, Ill have to mix it up with beaches and perhaps a few town breaks.

We'll probably be eating out about every other night, but cooking by the tent other nights. We both love pubs but not fizz palaces, and she also wants to go to Glasgow. Its all about give and take apparantly.

Cheers for your advice

Oh I have been told to get a ferry ticket and island hop. Any adive on this would be good
    Ok. Let me sleep on this I am going to give it some serious thought overnight and decide what i would do in your shoes. When are you going?

One thing that I generally recomend to people who want to introduce themselves to Scotland is to ditch the car in Glasgow and wlk the West Highland Way. That way you make the transition from city through lowland following scenic loch into the highlands propper finishing with the Ben via Carn Mor dearg and down the tourist track. Use 'Travelite' to ferry your packs each day. Travel back to Glasgow via train over the magnificent Rannoch More

Thats a suggestion to toy with but as I say leave it with me overnight

John

Just seen the date its a bit early in the year. She's a teacher and on specific holidays. Unless its some sort of half term.

Shame really, hows the weather been on your visits in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Ok. When are you going?
    Probably summer time, in the six week hols.

July/August, not much fun camping for 10 days in the rain.

We where planning on New Zealand but we have ditched that till next year.

Scokland is the next best thing.

Cheers
    Jamie