Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Lads Leap

Re: lads leap

Route notes (written with reference to a 1:25k map of the area).

Start on the lane along from the YHA (approx 071 995), down the lane to the stream, round the back of the building & then up the hill, making for Lad's Leap. Negotiate the stream and follow the path down to the fence/wall at 046 993.

The loop starts here: some years run clockwise, some anti-clockwise. Last year it was the former so guessing anti-clockwise this year follow the fence/wall line along the break of slope and steeply down to where it meets the track winding back up right into the trees (036 986). Follow the track right, up to the quarry, from where a path takes you back to the start/end of the loop.

If the race is run clockwise this year, read that last paragraph backwards

From the start/end of the loop, retrace your steps east, past Lads Leap and down to Crowden. The finish last year involved turning sharp right where you set-off from & then going up the lane for a painful 20m or so.

Hope this helps. It's worth turning up early & car-sharing as parking is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    Route notes (written with reference to a 1:25k map of the area).

Ta Bill - very useful!

R

Hope this helps. It's worth turning up early & car-sharing as parking is limited.
    Thanks for the info.

The loop starts here: some years run clockwise, some anti-clockwise. Last year it was the former so guessing anti-clockwise this year follow the fence/wall line along the break of slope and steeply down to where it meets the track winding back up right into the trees (036 986). Follow the track right, up to the quarry, from where a path takes you back to the start/end of the loop
    Thanks, Bill. Have I interpreted the loop correctly?
    Last edited by Marvin; 11-06-2007 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Thanks, Bill. Have I interpreted the loop correctly?

That looks correct from what I remember. if it is A-Clockwise I remember the track back being a killer, it's a long slow climb back up to the top.

That said another top route.

Wish I could make it but I have other stuff to do.

Did this last year just as the torrential rain stopped. The path along the top of the quarry was loads of small puddles. All except one, which was literally thigh deep. Every other runner went into this puddle, thinking it was the same as the rest, including me! (The bloke behind just stepped over me, I think - thanks Julian!)

Bill's description is spot on, except it was a sharp left at the end, where the Curly Wurlies were waiting for us (junior races had been on earlier, during the torrential rain!)

Marvin's map is also spot on, I'd say.

The map is right.
    I'll pop off to re-learn how to tell right from left....

The map is right.
    I'll pop off to re-learn how to tell right from left....
    I was slightly confused!

Lived in Old Glossop up to May 2007 - Now live in New Hampshire USA

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Did this last year just as the torrential rain stopped. The path along the top of the quarry was loads of small puddles. All except one, which was literally thigh deep. Every other runner went into this puddle, thinking it was the same as the rest, including me! (The bloke behind just stepped over me, I think - thanks Julian!)

Bill's description is spot on, except it was a sharp left at the end, where the Curly Wurlies were waiting for us (junior races had been on earlier, during the torrential rain!)

Marvin's map is also spot on, I'd say.
    GeoffB - I remember that puddle very well indeed. I was right behind this guy and saw him disappear as you say "thigh deep" and just managed to correct my stride in time.
    Was the main topic of conversation back at the hostel was that puddle. Hope the weather is better this year.

Daz - was run on the same day last year as the Grizedale horseshoe - remember the weather and nearly loosing Fleeter in the river??
    Last edited by ajohns352000; 04-04-2007 at 12:19 AM.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by ajohns352000 View Post
    GeoffB - I remember that puddle very well indeed. I was right behind this guy and saw him disappear as you say "thigh deep" and just managed to correct my stride in time.
    Was the main topic of conversation back at the hostel was that puddle. Hope the weather is better this year.

Daz - was run on the same day last year asd the Grizedale horseshoe - remember the weather and nearly loosing Fleeter in the river??
    ahh yes thats why i didnt do it then , of course
    it was a wild day