Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems running

Problems running

Right well, when i go for a run, it either goes really well and i dont need to stop and walk at all................or i end up knackering myself out by setting off too quickly and having to walk a few times.
    My legs are generally ok but its my breathing that knackers me.....i also get stitches alot.
    Can anyone drop any tips please....im dreading my first fell race next saturday up rivingon because i went for a run up this big hill, round it and back down it....i had to walk a few times which distroys my confidence

Re: Problems running

Expect things to go badly

Thankyou, you fill me with such confidence hehe

Quote Originally Posted by fowler765 View Post
    Right well, when i go for a run, it either goes really well and i dont need to stop and walk at all................or i end up knackering myself out by setting off too quickly and having to walk a few times.
    My legs are generally ok but its my breathing that knackers me.....i also get stitches alot.
    Can anyone drop any tips please....im dreading my first fell race next saturday up rivingon because i went for a run up this big hill, round it and back down it....i had to walk a few times which distroys my confidence
    Do you use a heart rate monitor? if not try and borrow one and try that,

Work to a specific heart rate if it goes up you slow down so you are using the same effort all the time. that should stop you from becoming 'overly tired'.

Re stitch, I never eat 1 hour before a run and only sip water, Eating whilst running doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

First race- take your time and don't get carried away trying to be competitive, run the race especially the first mile at a comfortable speed, you will soon work out what effort level to run to and you will have plenty of time over the year(s) to go push harder. Don't worry about walking, lots of good runners will walk when it becomes too hard.

Finally enjoy the run and report back here afterwards...

Very sound advice.

Just enjoy it.
    Still too heavy to run

Cheers Ian, your a legend. I used to be quite a good runner when i was in high school where i used to run cross-country and 1500 meters for the school, the district and just missed out in running for lancashire by 5 places. Generally i was quite good at it. I stopped because i had my gcse's and i was more dedicated to playing cricket. But now, 3 years on, i have re-discovered running and im regretting quiting it as my fitness isnt like it used to be. (God i sound like im about 70). But when i went for my first propper run in 3 years a few weeks ago, i set off at a pace that i used to be able to stay at...and i was burned out within a mile.
    So now im having to find a pace that suits me and try to put my old pace in the back of my mind. Life's a bitch

So in the race, i will either pase myself properally and do 'ok' or end up getting too competative and burn myself out. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 13-03-2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Useless at spelling.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by fowler765 View Post
    Fowler it's important at this point in your training, to mix running and walking. If you keep running, all your sessions will be anaerobic, and you'll soon feel like giving up.By walking everytime you get out of breath, you'll help keep your exercise aerobic and economical.

Your breathing will improve over time, as the lungs develop more blood vessels to absorb oxygen.Additionally the haemoglobin of your blood will increase, allowing you to carry more oxygen to the muscles.Usually takes about six weeks for the blood cells to turn over in an endurance athlete.

The stitch your getting is caused by the diaphragm muscle(breathing)pulling on your ribs.This will pass as you get fitter. As the other formite said, give plenty of time for digestion of food.I wait about 4 hours after eating before exercising.If you run with food in your stomach, your pace will drop and you could end up being sick.

You mean im not a legend as well?

Or just a leg end?
    Still too heavy to run

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Baz View Post
    You mean im not a legend as well?

Or just a leg end?
    Anyone who can get 15stones up and down those hills, is definitely a legend!

Hi Fowler,

I'm fairly new to this fell-running lark too, and the most important thing I've learnt so far is that the best way to get up hills quickly is to run them slowly. When I started I tried to attack every hill and more often than not blew a gasket which knackered me for the rest of the run. As IDP said, a heart rate monitor will really help you know if you're pushing a bit too hard, and once you've run up a few of the hills that used to beat you without stopping you'll get a great confidence boost.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    The stitch your getting is caused by the diaphragm muscle(breathing)pulling on your ribs.This will pass as you get fitter.
    Chris you might be able to answer this: I only ever get stitches when descending; I can happily eat a big meal half an hour before a run and be fine, I never get stitches on even the hardest ascent or on the flat, but I often do when descending. Could this be because I'm leaning back a little, causing the diaphragm to pull on my ribs a bit more?