Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trail running in the lakes.

trail running in the lakes.

Hi All,

I am not a new runner, but I will be running in the lake district for the first time this fall. My wife and I are coming over for 3 weeks in September to visit family, run/hike some trails and visit as many pubs as my liver can handle.

We will be staying in Ambleside for 2 weeks before head north to Scotland for a week. Can any one recommend:
    1) Some classic trails in the area of Ambleside, distances can be from 5 to 25 miles. I would also like to buy some survey maps to the area so this will help narrow down which maps to buy.

2) We will not have a car, so, we will be looking for trails that start or end near a bus stop (or better yet, out the front door).

3) If there is a classic trail or peak that is within easy distance of the town let me know. We are really looking forward to exploring the area on foot.

4) If there are any fell races in the Ambleside area in September I would love to try out an easy one, any recommendations?

5) Any pubs (or local beer) that I should make my way to? If it is one thing I really enjoy when I come to visit it is the local pub, nothing like it in Montreal so I want to take advantage as much as possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Happy running!

Pat

Graeme

Re: trail running in the lakes

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanadian View Post
    Hi All,

I am not a new runner, but I will be running in the lake district for the first time this fall. My wife and I are coming over for 3 weeks in September to visit family, run/hike some trails and visit as many pubs as my liver can handle.

We will be staying in Ambleside for 2 weeks before head north to Scotland for a week. Can any one recommend:
    1) Some classic trails in the area of Ambleside, distances can be from 5 to 25 miles. I would also like to buy some survey maps to the area so this will help narrow down which maps to buy.

2) We will not have a car, so, we will be looking for trails that start or end near a bus stop (or better yet, out the front door).

3) If there is a classic trail or peak that is within easy distance of the town let me know. We are really looking forward to exploring the area on foot.

4) If there are any fell races in the Ambleside area in September I would love to try out an easy one, any recommendations?

5) Any pubs (or local beer) that I should make my way to? If it is one thing I really enjoy when I come to visit it is the local pub, nothing like it in Montreal so I want to take advantage as much as possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Happy running!

Pat
    First of all, are you looking for pure trail running or are you looking for fell running, because if it's fells your after just go out the front door, and there you go. Ease yourself in with a run up loughrigg fell, which will be straight out of the door, you will also have the Fairfield Horseshoe to go at which is again straight from your door, I think those two are about 6 and 11 miles respectively. There's also Wansfell again straight from the door.
    For races there's the three shires race on the 20th September.
    I would reccomend visiting the Golden Rule for beer in Ambleside, nowhere else, don't expect any food there though. It's a proper pub

This is the Fairfield Horseshoe with Ambleside below right.

http://www.leaney.org/lake_district_...id=402&thumb=Y

To be honest the best thing to do is buy an Ordinance Survey map 1:25000 and you'll soon be able to figure out many runs and walks straight off the bat. The Fairfield map itself shows a good route over Loughrigg Fell towards Grassmere and a run back past Rydal Water.
    Last edited by Stolly; 22-02-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the reply,

Well, I was looking for pure trail running. Not being familiar with the area (and wanting to preserve the wedded bliss) I figured getting lost in the lakes would be a bad idea. This stems from getting lost on the Yorkshire three peaks. A friend and I walked off the wrong side of the last peak and ended up almost 20 miles (?) from the car. It could have been the beer for lunch but I will put it down to inattention on our part. We also discovered that hitchhiking in England seems pretty tough.

That being said, I really would like to experience some fell running. I will contact the Ambleside Athletic Club and see if they would mind us tagging along on one of their training nights. Plus get some information for the three shires race.

I will also check out the Golden Rule, it sounds like just the place.

Stolly,

Thanks for the link and advice. The Horseshoe looks pretty interesting and since it starts and ends in town, very convenient. I looked at the Ordnance Survey site and found a 1:25000 map for the Lake District NE, would this be a good map to get? It is hard to tell as the previews are so small and I can't hold them in my hand. I guess I can also pick up maps when I get there, it would definitely save on postage!

Now I just have to get in shape so I don't embarrass myself on your peaks (or pubs for that matter!).

Pat

I'm pretty sure Ambleside is on the South East map - Ordnance Survey Sheet OL7.

Derwentwater trail race on 6 September is fairly close to you in Keswick - about 20 miles away.

http://www.lakelandtrails.org/derwentwater/index.htm
    Last edited by dominion; 22-02-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks for the map info. I will see if I can't order it in the near future, plenty of time until September.

As for the Derwentwater trail race, alas, it is the week before we arrive. We are flying into Manchester on the 12th, and heading up to the lakes via bus or train (we have not figured out which is the best method yet). I am sure we will be jet lagged and my usual cure of drinking all night and having not one but two curry take outs would not go over will with my wife. If I remember correctly (and it is kind of fuzzy) I was sick as a dog the next day, but well over the jet lag .

But, since the Derwentwater race is all on trails, I am sure it will be relatively easy to run it on another day. Our goal is to get out and see the country side, it will be a combination of running (for me) and nature/bird watching (for my wife). Needless to say we are both looking forward to it.

There are a couple of trains a day that go direct from Manchester Airport to Windermere and quite few where you'll have to change once at Preston. From Windermere there are plenty of buses to Ambleside. It'll take from 3 to 3.5 hours.
    See here for train/bus info. http://www.traveline.info/index.htm
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

david

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ambleside is on the South East map - Ordnance Survey Sheet OL7.
    Ambleside is on OL7 but annoyingly that map finishes about half a mile short of the summit of Fairfield so you would also need OL5 for the full Fairfield Horseshoe. You won't have any difficulty getting the maps in Ambleside.

As well as the Three Shires race on Saturday 20th which is 13 miles and quite tough there is also the Dale Head race in Borrowdale on Sunday 21st. This is a lung bursting 4 mile dash to the top of Dale Head and back from a traditional Lakeland shepherd's meet.

I just picked up The Rough Guide to The Lake District at the local book shop so I should know a little bit more about the Lakes before we get there.

I might just wait until we are in Ambleside before getting the maps, it seems from the guide that there are several outdoors shops in town so that might be best. It also avoids mail costs!

I think I have to do a little more research on the fell running scene. I am used to races for distance which means power walking uphills, not sure if sprinting uphill for 2 miles is my cup of tea. On the other hand it sounds like an experience that i should not miss. I will search through the archives on what (if any) extra gear i should be bringing for these races. I am sure it will be a little bit of culture shock from the races I usual run here.

Hi there Canadian!

You would be very welcome along at Ambleside AC club nights on Tuesdays from different pubs around the South Lakes. We are a fell running club usually go up a hill or two and there are people running at all paces. Followed by a beer or two after. The training schedule with places to meet for the months up to September should be up on the website soon.

amblesideac.org.uk

If you want to come along and need a lift pm me nearer the time.