Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems running

Re: Problems running

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Anyone who can get 15stones up and down those hills, is definitely a legend!
    In that case Steve (Amex) must be an at least a legend-super human or if not a god...

Quote Originally Posted by Trimm Trab View Post
    I only ever get stitches when descending; I can happily eat a big meal half an hour before a run and be fine, I never get stitches on even the hardest ascent or on the flat, but I often do when descending. Could this be because I'm leaning back a little, causing the diaphragm to pull on my ribs a bit more?
    I thought stitch can be brought on by not breathing properly to suit your bodies requirements. When you run downhill you tend not to breathe as hard because it 'seems' to be easier. However, it can be just as intensive as running uphill, so you get a stitch. Soon as you hit another hill it goes away because you then start to breath harder. So try hyperventilating on the descent. That explanation convinced me anyway, but then....

david

I'm not surprised you get a stitch if you're running half an hour after eating. I'd be throwing up never mind getting a stitch.

Make sure you are breathing properly using your diaphragm and not just your chest. This is more difficult to achieve when running downhill and won't be helped by a lot of food slopping up and down in your stomach.

Off-Road Running (Sarah Rowell) page 54

"... it is recommended that you leave between 2 to 4 hours between eating and hard exercise or competition".

This book should have sold more copies than every other book ever published on fellrunning added together.

It hasn't but as The Daily Telegraph once noted "fellrunners are not noted for their intelligence".

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trimm Trab View Post
    Hi Fowler,

I'm fairly new to this fell-running lark too, and the most important thing I've learnt so far is that the best way to get up hills quickly is to run them slowly. When I started I tried to attack every hill and more often than not blew a gasket which knackered me for the rest of the run. As IDP said, a heart rate monitor will really help you know if you're pushing a bit too hard, and once you've run up a few of the hills that used to beat you without stopping you'll get a great confidence boost.

Chris you might be able to answer this: I only ever get stitches when descending; I can happily eat a big meal half an hour before a run and be fine, I never get stitches on even the hardest ascent or on the flat, but I often do when descending. Could this be because I'm leaning back a little, causing the diaphragm to pull on my ribs a bit more?
    Trimm from what I understand, thats exactly what happens. The diaphragm is stretched more when leaning back and it pulls(via connective tissue)on the bones. As this muscle becomes conditioned to hard breathing, the pains should stop.

Eating so close to your run will decrease the intensity you can achieve, and reduce results. I suppose it depends on how much someone eats, and how hard they intend to train.

Regards

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    In that case Steve (Amex) must be an at least a legend-super human or if not a god...
    Is he heavier than big-bad-baz?

Master

When you run downhill you tend not to breathe as hard because it 'seems' to be easier.[quote]

Fascinating, and true.

Chris

Trimm from what I understand, thats exactly what happens. The diaphragm is stretched more when leaning back and it pulls(via connective tissue)on the bones. As this muscle becomes conditioned to hard breathing, the pains should stop.

Eating so close to your run will decrease the intensity you can achieve, and reduce results. I suppose it depends on how much someone eats, and how hard they intend to train.

Regards
    I need to have a lie down in a dark room. I agree with Christopher Leigh.

I don't think a stitch is something that regular runners encounter very much. However, I suffered from a bit of a stitch on the gradual, fast descents at Black Combe last weekend, which I put down to lack of downhill training and a lack of condition of stomach muscles.

Regarding eating, I have known runners who could run ok shortly after a meal. However the very idea makes me feel sluggish and I just can't see how your body is going to be in a state for good quality running at the same time as digesting a lot of food.

Is he heavier than big-bad-baz?
    YES and as strong as an Ox!

Ran with them both and fun fun fun.

Both quite tall, they dont look as heavy as they should be/or you would imagine them to be.

Baz is more accustomed to short races and Amex can grind it out all day (he'd be happy to confirm that)
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 15-03-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    YES and as strong as an Ox!

Ran with them both and fun fun fun.

Both quite tall, they dont look as heavy as they should be/or you would imagine them to be.

Baz is more accustomed to short races and Amex can grind it out all day (he'd be happy to confirm that)
    Not met Baz yet, but had the pleasure of Amex's company a few times, top bloke, says what he thinks, swears a lot, enjoys his running, proud to call him a friend
    Hills and Guinness!