Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hill Starts

Hill Starts

Hi - I'm just getting into Fell running and previously have spent all my time road running - I've done a couple of marathons quite a few half's and consider myself not too bad at them.

I noticed though that for the fells people seem to rush off up the climbs quickly and have the push to do it

I'm usless at that at the moment - on road runs I stay back and ease into he first few miles.. seems like I need to learn to drop that a bit

Any thoughts?
    Anything that you think will help me get a better starting point?

I'm always at the back and hate it!

Talking Re: Hill Starts

Quote Originally Posted by Egglett View Post
    Hi - I'm just getting into Fell running and previously have spent all my time road running - I've done a couple of marathons quite a few half's and consider myself not too bad at them.

I noticed though that for the fells people seem to rush off up the climbs quickly and have the push to do it

I'm usless at that at the moment - on road runs I stay back and ease into he first few miles.. seems like I need to learn to drop that a bit

Any thoughts?
    Anything that you think will help me get a better starting point?

I'm always at the back and hate it!

Oh yeah!

Well you seemed to get round the Half-Yorkshireman OK!

Re: Hill Starts

Rushing off up the climbs is not a good move! You'll pay for it over the rest of the race. Climbing at a pace that you can sustain is a much better idea, certainly for a race that's more than a few miles.

So I'd stick to easing into a race if I were you. At least until you're confident enough to know how fast to push depending on how long the race is.

Hill reps are a good way to strengthen and speed up your climbing. I just find them boring!

Quote Originally Posted by Egglett

On the roads you can use the first few miles as a warmup. Depending on the route, and a lot of fell races have a good steep section early on, it's worth getting fully warmed up prior to the race. From a standing start I need 15 - 20 mins to start to feel fresh. I feel it on training runs, so I tend to do that as a jog for that sort of time as a warmup.

I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs here.

Harry
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Hey don't knock it. Sucking eggs is a valuable life skill.

Not at all.. is a funny thing - in road running I seem to be getting asked alot of stuff recently as I'm seen by those who know me as a wise owl type (seen - it's all lies really -lol!) - however on the fells I am a true beginner!!

Hammertime.. dont look too closely at last years Yorkshireman.... I set up a small team based on us all being newish to off road and making the rule of start together and finsih together.. I learned a lesson though.. three of us had trained to 13/14 road miles - one hadnt - one wasnt really capable of the full mileage and it meant we had a mare from mile 8 - so it was a right off really.. at least we know the route for this years proper attempt!!

Anyhow.. back to the hill starts

I think what I am doing is looking and thinking "I should be able to do that"... and at the end of the day most of my running is on flat roads.. so I cant expect to just get up and go like you all do can I

Warm up is a good plan.. I was talking to a friend about that actually... so that's a good tip

I'm going to start doing high incline walk/runs on the treadmill just to get my legs working a bit harder... I also started circuit training tonight - that showed up lack of strength generally

Is good to read your thoughts
    I'll have to just enjoy the scenery from the back for a while then wont I

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    From a standing start I need 15 - 20 mins to start to feel fresh. Depending on the rout I feel it on training runs, so I tend to do that as a jog for that sort of time as a warmup.
    Harry
    H, I am the same. A good 20 minutes before my legs feel proper ! Not too much of an issue when you are doing the longer races (Egglet get on the full Yorksman this year !!!) Any race under an hour and I need to warm up properly. Otherwise I set off too fast and my legs just die after 15 - 20 mins !
    Worth adding in a few 'strides' towards the end of the warm up too just to get your heart up to speed !
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

Is that a challenge Denzil??

Not sure I am ready for the full this year - 2008 is a YES but this year I'd like to get a good go at the half.. plus I have a under 4hr road marathon challenge to do...

It's reassuring that other people struggle the first bit.. looks like warming up is going to be worth a try

Think I will also try and build up leg strength with some weight work

Do any of you do any gym stuff or is that for pussy's?! LOL

Always up for a challenge !! Hope to break 4 hours this year for the full, thats the challenge !

Weight training is good for leg strength obviously, squats, leg press, leg curls. Although I try and do them single leg rather than double leg. My reasoning is you dont run around with both legs tied together in a bunny hop fashion, so why weight train like that. As Harry H says there is no better strength training for doing hills than doing hills ! If you want to have a real thigh burning hill session, try running up a hill backwards (obviously needs to be fairly even surface).

Theres some good tips in this months Runners World MAg for hill running reps !!
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

Do any of you do any gym stuff or is that for pussy's?! LOL
    The very idea, I feel quite faint.

I can assure you that that kind of thing is definitely not for pussys.

Ciao.
    Her arms are wicked and her legs are long.