Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ramsay Round Shortcuts

Re: Ramsay Round Shortcuts

Could be a bit snowy still - http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=115565

Drop me a PM if you still need help.

The route off S A Mhaim is almost certainly quicker by following Yiannis's directions I.e a low traverse under the right hand side of the crags. But it is almost all off camber and could be wearing on tired legs at the end of a round. Will and I tried it and slipped a lot. We both concluded that, unless pushed for time, the easier option is in fact to go back the way you came, via the ridge.
    I was on Ben Nevis last weekend and in a white out stumbled onto the summit cairn. It was 2 foot high + the trig.
    Hope it melts fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Could be a bit snowy still - http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=115565

Drop me a PM if you still need help.
    Any one know how much snow there is else where in Scotland?

There was very little 4 weeks ago.

Have you checked the various webcams? Also worth checking the various winter climbing blogs.

Thumbs up Re: Ramsay Round Shortcuts

Thanks for all the info, will pore over map this week.

Mullach nan Coirean descent I'll check only if I've time. I know the route pretty well after I get to the forest (spent a wet morning trying different lines last November) sounds like the line I sussed out is the one Jon described.

I did think there was an even better line following the stream down (couldn't check this in November as it was in full flood) but speaking to others it seams not to be the case.

My main focus on the recce is the Loch Treig Munros as I've never been on them and this is the section we're doing at night

You should have got an email Yiannis

Bob the more the merrier, looks like more contenders (4) than support just now.

Bill
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Have you checked the various webcams? Also worth checking the various winter climbing blogs.
    I'll do that. i don't want much snow as I don't want to carry winter gear.

If any ones up there this week end let me know.

Bill

Watch out for Mark H from Dark peak who is up in your area doing a solo Tranter next week end I think. He also knows the route pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Thanks for all the info, will pore over map this week.

Mullach nan Coirean descent I'll check only if I've time. I know the route pretty well after I get to the forest (spent a wet morning trying different lines last November) sounds like the line I sussed out is the one Jon described.

I did think there was an even better line following the stream down (couldn't check this in November as it was in full flood) but speaking to others it seams not to be the case.

Bill
    I know the line you mean now. When recceing we tried following the stream up from the track instead of going through the woods and it is very rough. There is a small rough path on the right as you descend but it is not good, plus the terrain all around there is very tough. I think the best line is over the large style through the woods turn right on the forest track then cut down left off the track through a clearing in the forest and back onto the forest track and turn left towards GN YH.
    Lancslad

After careful recceing and having listened to stories of people getting lost in the forest I elected to go down the rough path by the stream. I crossed the stream and took a track going N for a few hundread yards and then dropped right, along a dark downhill forest ride, to join the main track to the finish. This is the shortest distance and most straightforward line to follow. I do not know the state of the route now as I have not been there for a few years.
    Yiannis

Fellhound

I'm probably a voice in the wilderness here (I'm used to that) but it's sad to reflect that with all this information and micro-navigation flying around the Ramsay (and the PBR) are sure to go the same way as the BG and eventually become just another standard test piece to follow the procession round...

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhound View Post
    I'm probably a voice in the wilderness here (I'm used to that) but it's sad to reflect that with all this information and micro-navigation flying around the Ramsay (and the PBR) are sure to go the same way as the BG and eventually become just another standard test piece to follow the procession round...
    Quick....

Do it now Fellhound before it becomes just another standard test piece.