Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ramsay Round Shortcuts

Re: Ramsay Round Shortcuts

Bill --
    That'll have been Will and Alan, I was in Fort William then, I was supposed to be going to do the Easains in the afternoon but thought I'd rather wait for the cloud and rain to come back the next day -- Bill

You are correct Bill. It was Will and I that met Bob on our way down off Ben Nevis towards the CMD arete. We had a chat, interesting to find he is number 7 on the list. Hope we chatted for a while, because looking at the times (various other excuses, toilet break, snow on Ben etc) we were on CMD summit when - schedule wise - we should have almost have been on Aonoch Mor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhound View Post
    I'm probably a voice in the wilderness here (I'm used to that) but it's sad to reflect that with all this information and micro-navigation flying around the Ramsay (and the PBR) are sure to go the same way as the BG and eventually become just another standard test piece to follow the procession round...
    That is disrespectful to everyone that has worked hard to do a Bob Graham round. The PB and especially the RR are too far away from mass populations to become as popular, as the BG anyway. But they are all hard and a true test of mountain ability.
    When you have to drive 6 hours to get to Fort William to begin to look at the RR round (as I and a lot of others do), a bit of free information exchanging is hardly against the ethos. As with them all you still need the mental and physical fitness, as well as courage to take them on in the first place. If you say you have done one of them people know it was hard. They are a great place to start before making your own rounds up, as Yiannis and others have done. Have you got any "test pieces" that I can follow after finishing the "standard" ones? I know Yiannis, John Fleetwood and Chris Upson have.
    Lancslad

I've just got back from a fantastic family walking holiday in Glen Nevis - tried a round of the Mamores on Monday but had to abandon due to beginnings of heat stroke half way round! Then had another bash on Friday and completed the round from Achriabhach (clockwise) in 7:14. This time it snowed on me!

ydt - nice to bump into you on Saturday - how did the Ramsay round attempt you were supporting go? Was the Devil's Ridge bypass good?

Regarding shortcuts - the bypass of Na Gruagachian's NW top was good. I avoided bypassing An Garbhanach on the way up, but on the first attempt I bypassed it on the way down on the west - not recommended unless you like traversing large blocks of loose scree - stick to the ridge. The bypass below the Devil's Ridge worked well. I previously tried bypassing the top between Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean and found it too rough. And the descent from Mullach nan Coirean? Down the start of the NE ridge then direct across the heather to the stile into the forest - far faster than following the path!

After that I've got some idea of how ludicrously tough the full round is...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I've just got back from a fantastic family walking holiday in Glen Nevis - tried a round of the Mamores on Monday but had to abandon due to beginnings of heat stroke half way round! Then had another bash on Friday and completed the round from Achriabhach (clockwise) in 7:14. This time it snowed on me!

ydt - nice to bump into you on Saturday - how did the Ramsay round attempt you were supporting go? Was the Devil's Ridge bypass good?

Regarding shortcuts - the bypass of Na Gruagachian's NW top was good. I avoided bypassing An Garbhanach on the way up, but on the first attempt I bypassed it on the way down on the west - not recommended unless you like traversing large blocks of loose scree - stick to the ridge. The bypass below the Devil's Ridge worked well. I previously tried bypassing the top between Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean and found it too rough. And the descent from Mullach nan Coirean? Down the start of the NE ridge then direct across the heather to the stile into the forest - far faster than following the path!

After that I've got some idea of how ludicrously tough the full round is...
    Just back from Scotland. There were three contenders, the two completed, the third retired.
    Devil's ridge bypass: At Sgur a'Mhaim the two contenders running together were 5 minutes behind schedule. At Stob Ban we were 15 minutes inside schedule. It does save time.
    I was out and about for almost 24 hours after I spoke to you, completely self-sufficient, recceing and supporting. Apart from a couple of bivying spells I as on my feet for 20 hours.
    Yiannis

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    ...Have you got any "test pieces" that I can follow after finishing the "standard" ones? I know Yiannis, John Fleetwood and Chris Upson have.
    Actually I have. I often devise challenges of my own (sometimes I even complete them ). John Fleetwood's recent Wainwright 7 was actually one of mine....

I applaud anyone who tackles one of these big challenges but I don't like to see them become 'just another long race'

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Just back from Scotland. There were three contenders, the two completed, the third retired.
    Well done

Devil's ridge bypass: At Sgur a'Mhaim the two contenders running together were 5 minutes behind schedule. At Stob Ban we were 15 minutes inside schedule. It does save time.
    Agreed. Have you tried my route down off Mullach nan Coirean? It's faster than sticking to the ridge. I considered starting on the N ridge and then going into the valley but didn't have the time beforehand to check it out.

I was out and about for almost 24 hours after I spoke to you, completely self-sufficient, recceing and supporting. Apart from a couple of bivying spells I as on my feet for 20 hours.
    Hope you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Well done

Agreed. Have you tried my route down off Mullach nan Coirean? It's faster than sticking to the ridge. I considered starting on the N ridge and then going into the valley but didn't have the time beforehand to check it out.

Hope you enjoyed it!
    Joe,
    Mullach nan Coirean:
    I often go off the path in order to run on soft grass but have not taken a straight line to the stile. Where about do you leave the path? Next w/e I am again up there supporting another attempt and will look at that.
    Some years ago I (with Rob Woodall) had reccied a route along the N ridge. It has very good running apart from a couple of rough bits and misses out the track/road running at the end. I did not do it in my solo Ramsay as I was finishing in the dark in bad weather and had little time to spare.

Alan Lucker and Will Houghton, both of Bowland fellrunners, had a successful Ramsay on Sat/Sun 6/7th June. Bill Williamson, who started with them had to drop out before the Mamores. Support before, during and after the event was organised by Wynn.
    Yiannis

Alan Lucker and Will Houghton, both of Bowland fellrunners, had a successful Ramsay on Sat/Sun 6/7th June. Bill Williamson, who started with them had to drop out before the Mamores. Support before, during and after the event was organised by Wynn.
    Yiannis
    Well done Alan and Will.

Great effort.

Bad luck Baggins. I'm sure you'll be back.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Well done Alan and Will.

Great effort.

Bad luck Baggins. I'm sure you'll be back.
    video to follow courtesy of FMA productions. i'll post up on youtube when i've edited which may be a while. was a pleasure to support and no doubt i'll get another opportunity next year Bill. Thanks to wynn for the cooking.