Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Ramsay Round Shortcuts

Re: Ramsay Round

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Some shots of the Mamores section here - http://picasaweb.google.com/BobEWigh...Round07062009#
    some lovely early morning shots there Bob.

Re: Ramsay Round Shortcuts

Thanks everyone

Lovely photos Bob makes that walk up from Loch Treig look beautiful
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Thanks everyone

Lovely photos Bob makes that walk up from Loch Treig look beautiful
    I'd slightly less mileage in my legs Bill

Apart from the Dutch couple camping at the bothy (first day's walking in Scotland apparently) I saw no-one from Loch Treig until Ian & co turned up at Loch Eilde Mor later that night. Did feel very remote though.

Well done Alan, looks superb.

Unlucky Bill, well done for making call, must have been tough to tell them to push on. Keep us informed for next year. I intend to do the WHW race again if that weekend's free, but wouldn't mind getting involved in a few recce's and help on the day if there's time.

I'd slightly less mileage in my legs Bill

Apart from the Dutch couple camping at the bothy (first day's walking in Scotland apparently) I saw no-one from Loch Treig until Ian & co turned up at Loch Eilde Mor later that night. Did feel very remote though.
    Yes, a wonderful sense of remoteness. Definitely qualifies as "The Big Country"! Bob, how long had you been sat on the watershed between Loch Eilde Mor and Loch Leven, when Andy, Talitha and I landed? Must have been a brilliant sunset over Ardgour?
    Once Alan and Will had set off up Sgurr Eilde Mor with Yiannis and we had despatched Cookie and Tal back to Mamore lodge with all the unnecessary kit, Andy and I were very anxious for Bill's plight as we headed out towards Luibeilt and the Abhain Raith. The sense of relief as his headtorch appeared over a crest on the track, just 600 - 700 yards short of Luibeilt, had to be experienced to be understood. The 8 or so miles back to Mamore Lodge was a 'once in a lifetime' Highland dawn, with the sun rising behind us and, ahead of us, the Glen Coe hills turning pink from the summits down.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 10-06-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Yes, a wonderful sense of remoteness. Definitely qualifies as "The Big Country"!

The 8 or so miles back to Mamore Lodge was a 'once in a lifetime' Highland dawn, with the sun rising behind us and the Glen Coe hills turning pink from the summits down.
    WD, you are making us jealous.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Yes, a wonderful sense of remoteness. Definitely qualifies as "The Big Country"! Bob, how long had you been sat on the watershed between Loch Eilde Mor and Loch Leven, when Andy, Talitha and I landed? Must have been a brilliant sunset over Ardgour?
    I was probably there about 2 1/2 hrs in total but wasn't sat around as the wind made it a bit cold. At first I wasn't sure if you had already got there and gone on to the ruins so I wandered that way for a while before figuring that the contenders would have to have been well ahead of schedule for that to have been the case. Then having a bite to eat then wandering back and forth to see if you were coming up the track.

After you carried on, I walked slowly up to the lochain between Binneins Mor and Beag and was there for about 2 1/2 hrs again and nipped up Binnein Beag while waiting.

Some shots of the Mamores section here - http://picasaweb.google.com/BobEWigh...Round07062009#
    some great photos there Bob. Just wondering of you have them in a larger size to download.
    Lancslad

Some inspirational route descriptions - so much so that i am off to walk / reccie the Tranter this weekend.

One quick question for those who know the area better than me, what is the preferred route from Sgurr Eilde Mor to Stob Ban? The line "looks" to me to be NE down ridge to the flat ground by the river and then NE again up to Stob Ban contouring North round Meall a Bhuirich? The alternative seem to be to pick up the stalkers path from Luibeilt and head up Stob Ban from the South?

Cheers, Pete

i'd do sgurr eilde more first then binnean beag and cut straight down to the glen before going up the glen below meall a bhuiridh to the col before stob ban. if you do it the other way round 9which i think is slower) def follow the stalkers path up from luibeilt.