Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ramsay Round Shortcuts

Re: Ramsay Round Shortcuts

Thanks FMA - i think we'll decide on the day between Binnein Beag and Luineilt then (may come down to where we decide to bivvy).

Guys,

I am hoping to have a crack at the CRR in June probably, I dont want to leave it later as I have an entry for the UTMB, but for various reasons find myself a little under trained at the moment.

This thread contains lots of great info and I plan to digest it at leisure, but I have a couple of questions from a reccying/ preparation perspective:

What are the bunk house options like at Fersit and Corrour? I have stayed in the one at Tulloch Station which was fine (they seemed OK with turning up late), but keen to get your recommendations, I guess I need to think about bedding, is just turning up with a small bar of soap acceptable?

I had thought about trying to reccie the Round in a single push over three days staying at Fersit/ Corrour (so day 2 would be a short day) and laying down some food and drink on the way but am thinking that doing two reccies might be the lowest risk if the weather craps out and easier to plan. So I am thinking Visit 1 Day 1: Ben Nevis to Fersit, Day 2 on to Corrour, then train back to Fort William and taxi to pick up my car; then Visit 2 Train from Bridge of Orchy to Corrour and go from Corrour to Glen Nevis Day 1; then probably just train it back to Bridge of Orchy.

I have to say the reccying logistics make my brain hurt!

Any advice on where to place any drink drops would be appreciated. I will leave a can of ministrone soup and a bunch of gels approx every four hours around the route!

Cheers,

Simon

As far as I know the only bunk house option for Fersit is Tulloch Station, which has always been great when I've stayed there.

Unfortunately the lodge at Corrour station is closed down (unless its reopened since I was last there a year ago, but it looks like the closure is permanent). A real shame because on the couple of occasions I stayed there it was superb.

Planning CRR reccies is always a bit of a logistical headache! Your plan sounds fine to me. Last year I did similar to your proposed day 1 & day 2, staying at Tulloch. (Running along the trainline from Tulloch to the start of leg 2 keeps you on your toes listening out for trains!!) At the end of day 2 I got the train back to Fort William and then jogged out to stay at Glen Nevis, in a campervan outside the YH. Then for day 3 ran along Glen Nevis to Binean Beag and did the rest of leg 3 from there (i.e. missed out the long track from Corrour, and Sgurr Eilde Mor). Its quite a long day 3 but was fine.
    I know the route quite well though, so didn't really need to recce the track and Sgurr Eilde Mor.

The time before that that I did similar (2009), the lodge at Corrour station was open, so I stayed there - made it a lot easier logistically!

Good luck with it all.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Just back from a weekend at Loch Ossian YH with my club, Ochil Hill Runners. The hostel is only a mile from Corrour Station and its ok to just turn up but I would recommend booking. We had the whole place and a couple of girls backpacking through arrived on the Saturday hoping to stay, as they had a tent they were able to camp outside. It can be a busy place at weekends.

http://www.syha.org.uk/hostels-in-sc...ch-ossian.aspx

There is accommodation again at Corrour but not bunkhouse style, three rooms/suites I believe. We did eat and drink there and I would highly recommend it.

http://www.corrour-station-house-restaurant.co.uk/

Hostels, pah.

Just sleep under the rail bridge after Beinn Na Lap CW, it's very comfortable.

Ok, no it isn't. I still have midge bite itch.

Fersit side, nearest is definitely Tulloch. And as far as I'm aware the Youth Hostel at Ossian is the only cheap option Corrour side. If you must use such things.
    pies

You could do it in 3 days using the en route bothies.

Stashing some food in the woods just the other side of the railway line after Loch Trieg would be fairly secure. And if something happens to the food stash you could head to Tulloch for the train.

Assuming you went clockwise.
    pies

Can anyone help with the final descent off Mullach nan Coirean down through the forest to the first forest track?
    On a recent recce, after crossing the deer fence I tried to stick closely to the line shown on the Harveys map but quickly got bogged down in steep, dense forest full of dead and fallen trees. I hit the first track at roughly the right point, but that was definitely a bad line to take. Any hints on what is a better line and how to find it?

Quote Originally Posted by rsk View Post
    Can anyone help with the final descent off Mullach nan Coirean down through the forest to the first forest track?
    On a recent recce, after crossing the deer fence I tried to stick closely to the line shown on the Harveys map but quickly got bogged down in steep, dense forest full of dead and fallen trees. I hit the first track at roughly the right point, but that was definitely a bad line to take. Any hints on what is a better line and how to find it?
    The line shown on the Harveys map is not really any good, as you found out!

If you instead carry on following the fence down to the corner, there is a stile. On the other side of the stile there is a new path that takes you down to the track. Turn right and join the Harveys route where it goes down what used to be a ride to the lower track.

But... that used to be all well and good. However the ride between the two tracks is now choked with fallen trees. At least it was when I last checked it out.
    It may well nevertheless still be the best option but there is a second one:
    Shortly after you meet the deer fence, higher up on the hill, there is a stile. Go over this and drop down steeply to the end of the track shown on the Harveys map at NN138674. The smaller track shown on the map that leads to the corner of the big track is further on.
    This way has issues though: it is very steep on tired legs; the track you meet is tricky with felled logs; it is hard to find from the top - easier from the bottom going up.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"