Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which GPS?

Master

Re: Which GPS?

I use my e trex venture cx in conjunction with memory map with pretty good results.

Not got topo maps but will download from SMC when the warranty on my Garmin expires.

Never yet used it for navigation more as a device to record where i have been etc .

Great bit of kit both the GPS and Memory Map, have fun
    The older I get the Faster I was

I use a Pocket Pc phone - Mio A701 with a GPS SIRF chip in built plus Anquet maps, which you can now buy small sections or large maps as you need, you can save routes to follow as needed, it has a large colour display, plus you can use the phone, Emergency location sms - Location call, plus all Pocket Pc functions the only downside is it tends to have a standard battery life of about 6 hours but just get more batteries (cheep on eBay)

This has been out about one year now and there are many new GPS phones coming to the market soon?
    Last edited by Rob; 31-01-2007 at 10:11 PM.

I presume you mean GPS rather than GPRS. Not sure why I'd want a fast connection to the internet whilst out running.....

I'm still pretty happy with my Foretrex 201.

Plusses
    - can load routes to mapping software (I use TrackLogs) from GPS and vice versa
    - displays loads of different stuff on the screen
    - rechargable
    - very light
    - I find it great for running and dinghy sailing

Minuses
    - can't do split times, and can't stop and store an elapsed time without switching the GPS off i.e. not as good for running as Forerunner 201
    - doesn't have any internal maps
    - PC connection is via serial port rather than USB which is slow and needs an adapter with our desktop which doesn't have a serial port